301 Assignments

Using my Skills to Support my Future

This course has provided much room for reflection, whether in terms of my assignments and learning process, or how I can apply the skills I’ve developed in this course to my future endeavors.

One of my biggest strengths in assignments is generating ideas, and being very specific about how I define and say things. However, this frequently causes the problem where I am over detailed and need to edit my writing for conciseness. Similarly, I still need to work on tone by rewriting my sentence is so I can remove pronouns Where possible, and this will also help my concision. Concerning my learning process, I have had a lot of trouble Fundamentally changing the way I write so as to be more concise. Often, when I edit for concision, I usually just change word order slightly and remove unnecessary words. Well, this is not a wrong approach to editing, I think I could really benefit from seeing other ways to write sentences, often I feel my writing sticks to a formula I don’t entirely know how to change. However, when I do understand a new way to do things, I’m very disciplined about incorporating it as much as possible into my writing and editing accordingly.

Relating this to my future, and how this can support it, one of my strengths is a sensitivity towards tense matters. Well, I am still developing in my professional tone, I think in many assignments dealing with sensitive matters like the Evan Crisp memo or the complaint and adjustment letters, I was sufficiently diplomatic. This will serve me well in the future, as a diplomatic poorly written letter is preferred to an extremely accusatory one that is written perfectly.