Re: First the movies, then the books

Based on a blog post by Logan Lan, about the pair up between Scribd and Netflix for offering monthly subscription for books, not movies…

This is a recipe for disaster!

Why would you charge a flat rate for an endless amount of books that you can read? That’s not how books go for me. I read them one by one, and at a moderate pace. It’s not like T.V., where you can binge season after season. I also find myself anticipating release dates for good books, and going to the store to buy it on the day it releases. It’s a reliable way to get what you want immediately.

What doesn’t work about this for me is that although a lot of readers are switching to eBooks, the consumer base just isn’t big enough to fill up the projected demand for this project. Most people who read novels with e-books own a Kindle, Kobo, or some sort of online reader.

How are they gonna connect this device to Netflix? The answer is simple: It’s impossible.

Readers aren’t going to waste their time with such a foreign new concept. They have books to read on their e-reader.

https://blogs.ubc.ca/loganlan/2013/10/08/first-the-movies-then-the-books/