Professor and Associate Head (Undergraduate)
Department of English
397-1873 East Mall
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z1 Canada
- University of California, Berkeley. Ph.D. (English), 1986.
- University of California, Davis. A.B. with Honors (English), 1979.
Teaching and Research Fields
- Historical Pragmatics: Diachronic Pragmatics
- History and Structure of the English Language
- Old and Middle English Language and Literature
- Orality and Oral Tradition
- Survey of English Literature, Medieval to Modern
- Introductory Linguistics
- Business and Technical Writing
- International Pragmatics Association.
- International Society for Historical Linguistics
- Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States
- Linguistic Society of America
- Medieval Academy of America
- Medieval Association of the Pacific
- Modern Language Association
- New Chaucer Society
- Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association
- Associate Head Undergraduate (English), 2014-present.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Historical Pragmatics, 1998-present.
- Advisory Council, Medieval Association of the Pacific, 2002-05.
- Executive Committee, Division on Language Change, Modern Language Association, 1997-2002.
- Representative (Division on Language Change), Delegate Assembly, Modern Language Association, 1999-2001.