Who We Are, What We Do

We are an interdisciplinary team of five undergraduate students in the UBC Faculty of Land and Food Systems completing a community-based experiential learning project for the second major course (LFS350) in the Land, Food, and Community Series. From January- April 2016, we will be assessing existing, but undocumented community kitchens in the Point Grey/ Kitsilano Neighborhoods for the City of Vancouver’s Social Policy Department. By updating the City on existing food-related assets in urban neighborhoods, our findings will hopefully contribute to improvements in the Priority Areas of the Vancouver Food Strategy.

GROUP 9 TEAM MEMBERS

12188996_10204286921127303_3345462128476453313_n

Halina Rachelson

I am a 4th year student, majoring in the Global Resource Systems program. My specialization is Sustainability and Urban Planning, and I’m passionate about participatory planning, opportunities for fostering food literacy, and connecting people through food in the city. I believe in the power of bottom up processes to transform both cities and food systems for the better.

12473916_10204643320837073_4684694571215740685_o

Anh Le

I am a 2nd year Global Resource System student with special interests in Sustainable Agriculture and Urban Farming. My passion lies in community work that promotes local engagement in agricultural production, as I believe that is the approach to food literacy, food sovereignty and an inclusive environment for all cultural identities. My experience volunteering for UBC Farm and Inner City Farm will hopefully bring some new perspectives into the evaluation of the roles of Community Kitchens in informing and guiding the public to make better food choices.

12540616_10207364366700130_5710038070326540355_n

Teresa Choy

I am a 3rd year student majoring in Food Market Analysis. My studies focus more on the Economics side, while incorporating the Food System into the marketing perspective. Through interacting with community groups, I believe I can gain better analytical and planning skills along with a better understanding in our actual local food system.

12540413_10153198564491510_380899850_n

Emily Ng

I am a 3rd year student majoring in Food, Nutrition, and Health. My interests include food literacy and nutrition-related diseases. I am very excited to be participating in this community kitchen project.  Specifically, being able to see how the people of the Kitsilano and Point Grey community use their food literacy knowledge to ensure the community members’ food security.  

Tianna Brammer

I am a 3rd year student in the Food, Nutrition and Health program. I wish to pursue a career as a Sports Dietitian due to my background in competitive figure skating. With that being said, I am intrigued by the different nutrition requirements to meet our bodies’ needs and how we can ensure this need to the community. I look forward to learning how Community Kitchens contribute to this cause!