Deadline Friday, 11 September, 2015
Annual Value up to $6,000 for three to six months
The Canada Graduate Scholarship Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements (CGS-MSFSS) Program supports high-calibre Canadian graduate students pursuing exceptional research experiences at research institutions outside of Canada.
This program is available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a Vanier Scholarship or a Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the Master’s or doctoral level.
Note that international students who hold a Vanier scholarship are not eligible for this competition, and students who hold other types of awards from the Tri-Agencies are not eligible (e.g. NSERC PGSD, SSHRC DF, etc.).
Students must submit the following application materials to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies:
- signed and dated CGS-MSFSS application form. The application forms are common for all three agencies, and are accessed through any of the funding agency websites, completed online, and then printed off for submission to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- outline of proposed research while abroad (maximum two pages), including:
- a detailed description of your proposed research activities during your study period abroad
- a description of the potential benefits that you will derive from working at, or attending, the host institution (or other foreign study location, if applicable) in relation to your current research objectives
- timelines regarding your research study period abroad (start and end dates)
- for CGS Master’s and Vanier CGS recipients only, an up to date copy of the research proposal for your current CGS
- letter of support from current research supervisor (maximum one page)
- letter of support from potential host supervisor (maximum one page). The host supervisor will also need to indicate that they have the resources available (financial, supervision time, equipment, etc.) to support your planned research activities. If the host supervisor’s primary place of employment is outside academia, they must demonstrate that they have supervised graduate student researchers.
- Faxed or scanned supervisor letters printed on official letterhead and including the supervisor signature are acceptable.
All student signatures on SSHRC applications must be in ink.
Further information available at: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/canada-graduate-scholarship-michael-smith…