The Agricultural Institute of Canada Foundation invites applications for The Karl C. Ivarson Agricultural Scholarship.
This scholarship is open to agricultural science students from the province of Alberta. Students may be enrolled in any post-secondary institution within or outside the province of Alberta. In 2014, two awards will be granted:
- $8,000 Masters level (1)
- $13,000 PhD level (1)
Candidates must hold Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residence status in Canada and be enrolled in their graduate program for at least one semester beyond the application deadline.
Deadline for applications is October 31, 2014
Scholarships are awarded on the following basis, but not necessarily placed in order of importance:
- Academic achievement
- Areas of study
- Career interests
- Letters of recommendation
This scholarship was created by Dr. Karl C. Ivarson through a gift to the Agricultural Institute of Canada Foundation and is administered by the Foundation. 2014 Application Guidelines and Application Form can be found at http://www.aic.ca/foundation/Ivarson_Agr.cfm
You are invited to the LFS TA Training Orientation! This event is for new and returning TAs for both Term 1 and Term 2.
If you will be TAing in LFS in any capacity in the 2014/2015 year, the Faculty STRONGLY encourages your attendance. The Orientation Day will also include an informational session run by the TA Union, CUPE 2278, which is mandatory for all UBC teaching assistants.
At the orientation, you will become familiar with:
- Resources on campus that can be used to build your teaching skills
- Key people and policies relevant to the TA role
- The expectations of you as a TA and what you can expect in your position
- How to best manage or respond to potential challenging classroom situations
- Strategies for working in a multidisciplinary courses that are group work focused
Date: Tuesday September 9th
Sign-In and Coffee: 9:30 am
Sessions: 10am – 3:30pm
Where: AGORA CAFE, MacMillan Building (2357 Main Mall)
**Free morning coffee, lunch, and midafternoon refreshments provided.
Register here before Tuesday September 2nd at midnight, for planning and catering purposes.
If you have any questions or are unable to attend, please email email@example.com.
TUESDAY AUGUST 12, 2014
Visiting TerreWEB Intern – Poznań University of Life Sciences, Poznan, POLAND
Will present a Seminar
Tuesday, August 12th at 11:00 A.M.
“Impacts of Climate Change on Forest Ecosystems: Are Forests Always Carbon Sinks?”
She will focus her presentation on “ extreme climatic events”.
P.S. Cookies will be served!
The FAO’s Nutrition Education and Consumer Awareness Group is seeking a School Nutrition Consultant, based at FAO Headquarters in Rome.
- Carry out a review and prepare an inventory of integrated school nutrition programmes (comprising school meals, nutrition education, school gardening, etc.) and related activities and projects in FAO and the regional offices for the purpose of improved collaboration and coordination.
- Convene a working group among all integrated school nutrition stakeholders in FAO HQs and Regional offices to share experiences and lessons, and identify best practices for sharing with interested stakeholders.
- Assist with convening meetings with school nutrition stakeholders and partner agencies to establish collaboration (also with a view to collaboration regarding the High Level Task Force on Global Food Security and Zero Hunger Challenge).
- Based on south-south collaboration with Brazil in Latin America, and other ongoing initiatives related to school feeding, nutrition education in schools, the nutrition of the school aged child, and farm-to-school programmes, prepare a concept note on FAO’s role and comparative advantage on integrated school nutrition programmes, as well as promotional materials.
- Promote FAO’s work on school nutrition in the context of the Milan Expo 2015.
- Support the implementation, and provide technical assistance to Project GCP/RAF/483/BRA – Strengthening School Feeding Programs in African Countries, especially regarding liaison with Brazilian partner agencies and RAF.
- Carry out country missions and support member countries in the development and implementation of integrated schoolnutrition activities and programmes.
- Carry out other related activities as required.
Please review the full job description for additional information. The closing date for applications is August 8, 2014.
Genome Canada is seeking proposals for large-scale research projects that focus on the application of genomics in the agri-food and fisheries/aquaculture sectors to address challenges and opportunities related to global food safety, security and sustainable production, and thereby contribute to the Canadian bioeconomy and well-being of Canadians.
Applicants must demonstrate how their proposal holds a high potential for attaining concrete deliverables by the end of the funding period. Proposals that make a strong case that those deliverables will be subsequently translated into significant social and/or economic benefits within as short a time-frame as possible after the end of the project are particularly encouraged, taking into consideration what is reasonable for the different research areas in these sectors.
Visit the Genome BC website to learn more. Registrations must be received by Genome BC no later than August 11, 2014.
Further questions can be directed to:
Coordinator, New Programs
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 604-637-4381