Census of Agriculture
Statistics Canada is a federal agency, whose mandate is to collect, analyze and disseminate statistical information on many aspects of life in Canada for the benefit of all Canadians. The agency is recognized internationally as one of the leading statistical agencies in the world and one of the best employers in Canada. There is a wide breadth of work and opportunity at Statistics Canada with a workforce of 4,000 in its head office in Ottawa and three regional offices across Canada.
The agriculture statistics program comprises 47 surveys and statistical programs covering livestock, crops, horticulture and farm finances as well as the Census of Agriculture conducted every five years. The census, conducted with Canada’s Census of Population, covers topics such as farm inventories, finances, environmental practices, operators and their families, etc. Some of our major data users include Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Statistics Canada’s provincial counterparts, the industry, farm organizations and universities. Our full line of data products is available as statistical and analytical publications on the internet and as custom requests.
While working with the Census of Agriculture you could be:
- helping farmers complete their Census of Agriculture form;
- analysing, validating and confronting the Census of Agriculture data to other sources.
- applying your knowledge of the industry to interpret census results and find the story behind the numbers;
- writing and presenting reports on the findings of your work; and
- preparing articles for release in Statistics Canada publications or on the web site.
You will have the chance to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with dedicated and motivated teammates, typically contributing to several projects. Your work will let you apply your agricultural knowledge to data that have an impact on the industry and its participants.
Careers at Statistics Canada;