Vote in the GSS Elections 2016.
Let your voice be heard and help decide on who will represent and advocate for graduate students at UBC Vancouver.
Vote Online: February 29 – March 4, 2016, 5pm.
Positions to be elected are:
- VP University and Academic Affairs
- VP External Relations
- VP Students
- Faculty of Graduate & Post Doctoral Studies Student Senator
On-Campus All Candidates Debate:
Thu., Feb. 23, 5pm, GSS Loft (Rm. 4202 at The Nest)
Come out to meet the candidates in-person, hear their platforms, and ask them questions.
Read: candidates’ platforms
For more information, visit gss.ubc.ca/vote.
GSS Catch Up
Tobias Friedel, GSS President, recently responded to concerns over advocating for graduate students at UBC Vancouver on the matter of sexual violence:
When the current student executive team took office in May 2015, we had identified the need to find solutions to address harassment and discrimination at UBC as one of the major projects for the year with a multifaceted approach. To date, the GSS has:
- Formed an Ad Hoc Committee to identify gaps and best practices, bring forth policy recommendations, and strengthen our advocacy efforts
- Launched mygradstory.ca, a digital portal to help with narrative data collection; climate surveys are also under development to deepen our understanding of the current situation
- Together with our student association partners, advocated to the government and other stakeholder groups to address sexual violence on campuses on a larger scale
- Met with UBC offices to seek their support for the creation of a “grad2grad” active bystander training program that provides graduate students an opportunity to mentor and educate younger students on matters of consent
The GSS is excited and encouraged by new collaborative ventures with the University and other stakeholder groups. As GSS President, I wish to reaffirm the society’s commitment to advocating on behalf of UBC graduate students on issues of sexual assault, harassment, and discrimination, and help them in their struggles to navigate processes and available resources.
Read GSS President’s full letter
GSS Programs & Events
Fri., Feb. 26, 2016, 5:00-6:30pm, GSS Loft @ The Nest
Missed the last session? No fret! We’re serving up a new selection for you to socialize, taste and toast. This is a 19+ event.
Event info & tickets
Tue., March 8, 7:15-8:15pm, GSS Loft @ The Nest
Explore the connection between mental wellness and the body through the use of yoga, breathing techniques, guided meditation and mindfulness exercises.
Workshop info & sign up
Wed., Mar. 9, 2016, 5:30-7:30pm, The Shameful Tiki Room, Vancouver
Sample a flight of rum or a non alcoholic cocktail while networking and tasting delicious appetizers. Max. 15 students.
Session info & tickets
Thu., Mar. 31, 2016, 7-10pm, Frederic Wood Theatre
Join the GSS in taking UBC Theatre’s spring production of The Arabian Nights.
Show info & tickets
Mon., Jan. 25 – Apr. 4, 2016, 5:30-6:30pm, Thea Koerner House
Drop-ins welcome: $7/session.
Tue., Jan. 26 – Apr. 5, 2016, 5:30-6:30pm, Thea Koerner House
Drop-ins welcome: $7/session.
“I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.”
— John Burroughs