Employer/Organization: Delta Farmland & Wildlife Trust / Faculty of Land and Food Systems
Position: Volunteer research technician
Location: UBC Vancouver and Delta, BC
The Delta Farmland & Wildlife Trust is a non-profit organization that promotes the preservation of farmland and wildlife habitat through co-operative land stewardship with local farmers. One of these programs, the Grassland Set-aside Stewardship Program, encourages farmers to plant fields with grasses and clover to benefit wildlife and restore agriculture soils.
The Delta Farmland & Wildlife Trust have partnered with Drs. Maja Krzic and Sean Smukler (Faculty of Land and Food Systems) on a five-years research project to evaluate the effects of grassland set-asides on soil quality and nutrient cycling. This will be our second season of soil monitoring and we are looking for keen volunteers to assist in field sampling from now until mid-October.
• Field sampling will take place 1-2 days a week on either a Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday until mid-October.
• Sampling days are approximately 8 hours, a full day availability is required on one or more of the days mentioned above.
• Volunteers will receive on-site training in field sampling for a range of soil physical and chemical properties.
• Transportation can be provided from Vancouver to the field sites in Delta.
• This volunteer position will provide valuable experience in soil field sampling for agriculture based soil science research.
• Eager to learn about soil science research in agriculture
• Able to work in a team-oriented environment
• Prepared to work in all conditions (field team)
• Able to work a full day on either Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Scheduling is flexible if you are only available one day a week, we encourage you to apply.
Interested applicants, please send your resume to Jason Lussier at email@example.com. Please reference the “GLSA Volunteer” in the posting and indicate your potential availability.
*Space is limited and you may not be contacted if all positions have been filled.