A Special Moment

Two blog posts in one day? Well considering I haven’t posted anything in two weeks (bad procrastination, bad…), I figured I should make up for it with a double injection today. Besides, these two posts have very different themes.

So, anyone who happens to read this today will remember quite clearly the torrent that assuaged us today. I guess it was my first true ‘BC Day’ today, since although there’s been rain before, it’s always come and gone, or hit in strange spurts (like those two sun showers—what was with that?) And being a Prairie kid, I was too stupid to look out my window at 8:50 this morning to check the weather. So out I go, in a T-shirt and used sweat pants, without an umbrella or a clue. Though I wanted to go back inside, I had to meet my friend Alex on our way to Vanier. So I run along to meet her, only to find out – as I reach her gate –that she’s hungover (really Alex, on a Monday?) and that I’ll have to make the walk to theatre by myself.

Oh, did I mention that today I had class from nine o’clock to three o’clock, without any breaks? I didn’t even have time to eat breakfast. Way back when you were a kid, did you ever play Pirates Treasure, where you had to tramp around a forest or something, searching for clues, moving in a zig-zag line, until you finally found the gold? My day felt like that today, moving from Freddy Wood to Buchanan to Irving K to forestry to Buchanan again, only instead of gold, my treasure at the end of the road was my warm room. To top it off, the lectures today seemed particularly boring, especially the quiet prof who’s mic wasn’t working and I couldn’t understand a word he said. I may, just may, have resorted to Pokemon on my laptop in my darkest moments.

So I’m heading off to my final class, from Buch to the Hebb building. The rain crashes down against me, and I’m soaked to the bone. On a normal day, I would have hit ground zero mood-wise. But I don’t; I feel suddenly resilient, and I don’t exactly know why. Then it hits me: I saw God on the Irving K terrace. There was something special about the way the rain crashed down upon the stone, and the grass and the trees, and on the hundreds of students passing by me under the protection of their patterned umbrellas. Moments like that are incredibly hard to describe, and I know I’m not doing the experience justice, but for that instant my mood jumped into the air, but not in a crazy bi-polar way, since that feeling of deep fulfillment remained throughout the day.

I hope I have many more moments like that while I’m out here (after all, there will be many more damn days of rain), and that the new ‘never been opened’ feel still hits me from time to time. So I’d recommend, whatever you believe in (even be that atheist), just to take a moment to remember, “Hey, I’m at fucking UBC!” And isn’t that enough?

1 thought on “A Special Moment

1. Days of rain? More like weeks of rain. 🙂
    Even entire months of rain, punctuated by cloudy days and snowy days. 😀
    But you’ll get used to it, and you always get to go back to a warm bed at the end of the day~a