Inquiry Project Post #5: Making it personal

In Phase 2, we looked at building a reading culture, professional development, being a technology leader, developing libraries overseas, and the use of mobile devices in schools.

learn

My key takeaway after exploring all these topics would be the importance of creating a PLN. This is something that for a variety of reasons, I haven’t made a priority. The season of my life was so busy when I started my first teacher-librarian position (a 2-year old, a 3-year old and a 5-year old), that I fell into a survival mode, learning what I needed to to be successful in my job, but not reaching forward with professional development. That changed when I started my diploma five years ago. The learning curve is very steep.  I can relate to Dallas, (Gillingham, 2015) who didn’t know what “ICT” meant before taking this course…I was the same for “PLN.”

images

I realize how important it is to keep growing, sharing and collaborating as a teacher-librarian. As mentioned in a previous post, I am a “yes” person at my school. This is true in all aspects except professional development. One of the main reasons is because most of the pro-d days are on Fridays, which is my job share partner’s day. What I have learned in this course, however, is that you don’t have to be at a pro-d event to network and grow. When you create an online PLN, the options are limitless, you can custom fit it to your particular needs and passions. This was a bit of an “ah ha” moment for me, and has made professional development more do-able for me.

socialmediaheart

Jean MacLeod, in her blog, says that “PLNs are simply a Web 2.0 way of tapping into collective knowledge, and getting feedback from people with similar interests” (MacLeod, 2013). This makes sense to me. I like the heart picture she used above to depict PLNs. There are so many choices and paths to connect with others. The key is to choose a few tools and jump right in. No more excuses, JUST DO IT!

just do it

Here are a few online tools I have been using to develop my PLN:

The Daring Librarian

www.teachertube.com

The Blue Skunk Blog

References:

Gillingham, D. (2015). Mobile Engagement. Mrsgillingham. (Blog). Retrieved from: https://mrsgillingham.wordpress.com/

MacLeod, J. (2013). My #PLN Gets Personal. Okanagan Schools – Michigan. (Blog). Retrieved from: http://oaklandschoolsmi.com/2013/08/08/pln/

4 thoughts on “Inquiry Project Post #5: Making it personal

1. Aaron

If there is one very powerful lesson to take away from our experiences that will enable you the most after this course and diploma are done, its the PLN! With a PLN, you can continue to learn, share, adapt and evolve your practice, program and pedagogy using whoever you can find and connect with, and this can be school-based, district-based, regional, provincial or global. You’ve captured the key essence of learning in the networked age, where we may be separated by distance, but we are connected via technology. I also hope to be a part of your PLN long after this course is over and hope you will still be a part of mine! Good look back at some very important concepts.

2. djthind

Thank you for your reflection. I appreciated your discussion of your personal and professional spheres. With respect to the latter, developing a PLN is important and a topic I have grown to understand by taking this course. – Best

1. lia moyes

Great reflective post Caroline! I love the quote and picture on PLNs that you included from Jean MacLeod. It definitely resonates with me as well. I look forward to reading about your final vision project.

3. dallas gillingham

People might think we’re in cahoots since I used your post in my blog. You got me going with Follett from your last blog. I even had my most resistant collaberator bring his class in to learn more about the system and to show off Destiny. How are you using Destiny? Thanks for talking about the PLN (another new acronym for me), I’m going to check out your link right now.