Unpacking Assumptions

The good use of technology depends in the framework in which it contributes to. We can examine the technology we select through SECTIONS so that we consider the students, ease of use, cost, teaching function, interaction, organization, networking, and security (Bates, 2016). The technology choice in the classroom (rather than for a wider spread integration), should examine the students, ease, of use, cost, teaching function, and interaction between students, technology, content, and teachers. This shortcut to the SECTIONS framework grounds the use of technology within social and pedagogical goals while being mindful of the on-boarding required to transition and engage users.

Using the SECTIONS framework, technology isn’t always needed. I have to consistently remind myself that if technology is the answer, I might not be asking the right questions (or at all).

If we connect back to the educational goals of the lesson, I think technology’s role could be to:

• Teach digital skills: This could be useful if we are trying to get students to learn specific software and the technical skills that come with it.
  • Leverage technology’s affordances: at a very basic level, this could be for research. For science and math, this could be for visualization. Particularly in sciences, technology can be used to test out ideas and conduct virtual labs/simulations.

Classroom technology can be supported through a model. Especially at the high school level, face-to-face learning is important. For this reason, I am interested in a blended model. to support how technology works within a larger learning framework.

It would be really cool to have a flexible workspace for math and science classrooms. This would look a little different based on the class because science classes have/need lab space. In the sketch I’ve provided, a lot of the space has been modelled around what I’ve seen in active learning classrooms at the post secondary level. The orange-yellow ovals in the floor plan represent where projectors would be placed. The walls of the room are white boards. Of course, the implementation of this technology is going to be very very expensive. I believe a small size active learning classroom can cost about 1 million dollars.

Something I realized when I sketched the room is that this space is based on the Flex and Station blended models. I like the idea of students being able to choose the space they work in while the teacher can direct different types of activities through stations. The zoning of spaces brings out an architecture of collaboration which can be further enhanced by technology. What the flexible workspace emphasizes is the potential for collaboration and highlighting that process work should be shown. Whether technology is used in this space or not, the architecture of the room facilitates activity.

In the space I sketched, I imagine that overcoming alternate conceptions in a science class would be linked to:

• Collaboration and discussion with peers: The use of white boards and projections can support annotation, research, and observation. Overall, it’s hoped that the students’ thinking is made visible
  • Access to labs = Experimentation: If one of the big ideas of science is to get students to think like scientists, then they’ll also need to try out their ideas. Whether it’s access to a wet lab, dry lab, or a digital lab, students can experiment with their personal theories and examine their shortcomings. The digital component is also helpful in visualization of the microscopic and abstract. As well, students can compare their personal theories, what is physically observed, and what is simulated. This can lead to rich conversations about the limitations of simulations and how they may contribute to misconceptions.Through cycles of dis(equilibrium) and scaffolding/shaping from the teacher and others, students will learn.
  • Facilitation and direct instruction from the teacher: I imagine this space being used in cycles of direct instruction and activity where the teacher circulates and facilitates. I don’t think this is necessarily a space where one teacher is present, but many. Different kinds of groupings can be leveraged depending on the activity.

Bates, T. (2016). Teaching in a digital age. Retrieved from https://opentextbc.ca/teachinginadigitalage/part/9-pedagogical-differences-between-media/