Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Game is a Form of Learning?

July 14th, 2014 · No Comments

James Paul Gee argued that game is actually a form of learning. People are actually learning something from the process of gaming. He listed out sixteen learning principles that would occur when playing video games. I think video game is definitely a good way to engage students because it allows them to access their background knowledge and to think critically. According to Gee, video games allow students to take on different identities, which can lead to them being more empathetic. Since every one of us can only experience that much, video games provide a medium for students to try out different things, experiencing with a new perspective. It will be beneficial if there are some educators who are willing to make games based on novels, which can probably enable students to understand or interpret the novel differently. I also agree that students will be more willing to take risks since video games provide a virtual environment. Failure in video games do not matter because no one is recording how many times you have failed or how many times you can fail. Video games allow players to keep on trying until they master the skills that are needed in order to succeed. I find this element very intriguing because it revolves individualized learning. You go through the levels based on your interests and skills. It is just unfortunate that in the reality, the education system cannot necessarily provide such environment for students.

In my opinion, Gee’s article really allowed me to reflect on my teaching style. I think some of the learning principles that he stated can possibly be integrated into my teaching. The question then I would ask is how. Is it possible to get my students structure their own learning pace, so once they have mastered a particular skill, then they can move onto a more difficult level? Will they be more willingly to take risks if there are no grades assigned to their homework? Once I was asking myself these questions, I thought of trying them in an ELL class. What if I grouped my ELL students based on their abilities, and I would be helping each group to develop skills that are suitable to their abilities?

Questions
Can every game help gamers learn something?
Does every game have its educational value?

Gee, J. (2005). Good Video Games and Good Learning. Phi Kappa Phi Forum, 85(2), 33-37.

Tags: gaming

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.