Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Blog Post #2- Gaming

July 20th, 2014 · No Comments

After yesterday’s discussion on gaming and how to incorporate games into the English classroom I was curious as to how exactly I could do this. I’ve often played video games for long periods throughout my life. I would get hooked on one game and would play it consistently until I beat it once, then I would replay it using cheat codes. Since I have some knowledge of gaming I have been thinking about how I could use that knowledge in the classroom. I do not agree that there is no place for gaming in the English classroom. I think that many of the problem solving techniques and self-correction that we develop help us guide our train of thought when reading difficult text and analyzing. I wouldn’t say that all video games can enhance student’s skills. It really depends on the activities and purpose of the game.
There was a game mentioned in class called ‘One and One Story.’ I looked it up and started playing it. This game requires you to move the two characters around so that they eventually meet face to face. There are obstacles that are placed in the game that you have to maneuver around. The levels also get increasingly harder as you progress.
As soon as I started playing the game I immediately could see that it would be beneficial for a student to play this game. Students have to rely on their problem solving skills to advance in the game. There are no hints available to the players and there are an unlimited amount of tries or lives available. I think that is the most important element to the game. Not everyone gets things right on the first try or even within three tries. I think the message behind the unlimited amount of lives available is very positive and encourages students to keep trying when they are problem solving because eventually they will get it. As you progress in the game the rules of each level change and so do the mechanisms. Things that you tried in the past levels do not necessarily work so you must change your approach. Which again provides students with a message; that you cannot approach each problem the same way. Finally, the game has an underlying story. It isn’t very detailed and is summed up before each level with a short sentence. However, the summary of the story must be interpreted because it provides players with a clue as to what it is you need to do in the next level. In lieu of direct instructions on how to play each level it is hinted at through the text provided. I thought that this was a brilliant way to engage players in the story and also give them instructions.
I loved this game but I personally do not know if I would want to use it in the classroom. The storyline was great and I think there are a few activities that could be done with it but I’m not sure it’s a direction I would like to take.

Tags: gaming

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.