Maximizing Happiness

When discussing the idea of maximizing “happiness”, I often think of my Econ 101 class with professor Robert Gateman. According to him, maximizing happiness is fulfilling a person’s level of satisfaction to the most. Essentially, it means that a person can only be completely content when achieving the maximum amount of satisfaction there is for an output.

In the business world, this idea can be applied to companies when dealing with employees. Victoria George’s post suggests that the happier the employee is, the more output he or she will produce. Thus, the level of efficiency would increase as employees would be able to produce a higher amount of output given the same amount of time. I highly agree with this approach, because I believe that when employees have to endure less stress and working hours, they are undeniably more productive. By treating employees with respect and genuine care, a company is bound to make larger profits. Employees ultimately create a connection with the company in which they make it a personal motive to see the company succeed. Unhappy and stressed employees definitely have a much lower chance of actually wanting to make a difference. Maximizing employees’ happiness is actually an effective strategy that should be implemented by companies in order to amplify total profit.