The “Paradox” in Airline’s Policies

I am intrigued by the “balance” that is present in the airline industry between being ethical and making a profit. The method of which an airline uses to decide when one will overrule the other in a given situation has always puzzled me a little bit.

For instance, if you are late for a flight, regardless of the reason, you will not be getting on that airplane. After all, it costs the airline more to open that cabin door than the profit it will make from your ticket. No matter how desperate you are, whether it is a family emergency or an important meeting you must attend, the airline doesn’t care. You are still going to be held captive in the airport, waiting for the next available flight.

On the other hand, if you are having a heart attack during a flight, then it is very likely that the plane is going to make an emergency landing at the nearest place possible regardless of the cost. It is, indeed, a very comforting thought to know that at least the airline will try its best to make sure that I don’t die on the plane.