How does one start a business? Where does funding come from? Do all business owners start off with huge amounts of loans and debts or do they all begin with a wad of cash in their pockets? How is it maintained? As new business students, everyone ponders about simple questions like such, and are confused about the processes of starting a business.

During a comm 101: “Entrepreneurship” lecture, the CEO of Energy Aware and Sauder graduate, Janice Cheam, answered these questions in an interactive presentation of her experience. As she explained her humbling story, it occurred to me that she, several years ago, was no different that all of us in her audience. So what makes her unique? After her presentation, I went home and thought about everything she said, and realized, the difference may simply be determination and courage. As Sauder students, it is evident that we all acquire the potential to be amazing business women/men, and are all intelligent individuals. It is not the skill sets or the intelligence of each individual that sets us apart, but our level of willingness to push through obstacles and desire to think outside the box. Through her experience, I’ve truly began to understand the concept of entrepreneurship, and the purpose of my study at the Sauder School of Business.

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind