Think TWICE before you BUY!

I have observed this phenomenon which promotion in retail industry occurs more and more frequently. On top of our most beloved Boxing Day sale, now we are indulged in spring sale, summer sale, Easter sale, Thanksgiving sale (you celebrate thanksgiving TWICE if you are a Canadian living on the border between Canada and the U.S.) etc… We are constantly bombarded by advertisements in any possible means (i.e. on the back of the toilet stall door) which lure us with the magical words “on sale”!! And very likely, the temptingness of these commercials are increased with the addition of “for limited time only”.

The logo of the local famous fashion boutique store–Aritzia’s annual warehouse sale 2012. As crazy as the iPhone release, fans were lining up as early as 5am in the morning.
Picture adapted from http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/08/29/aritzia-warehouse-sale-top-shopping-tips-to-know-before-you-go/

As a vigorous teenage girl, I would say I am extremely vulnerable to this kind of situation. Who doesn’t like good deals? Who wants to pay more? My adrenaline level accelerates immediately when I see signs such as “40% off”. But the question is, “DO WE ACTUALLY NEED IT?”

I came across an article on Globe and Mail which depicts a rather controversial issue. BMO’s survey tells us that a majority of Canadians spend about $3720 a year on things they don’t need to cheer themselves up because they are on sale. This behaviour leave many people in a tough position to save money. In addition, many products end up being wasted because they are bought under a thrust of emotions.

If these frequent sale promotions are part of the marketing strategy of the retail companies, their revenues are then built upon the expense of their customers’ saving accounts and the scarce resources of the Earth.