The Power of Business

I recently read a post on the Harvard Business Review Blog about Etsy, an online shopping website that sells vintage handmade products. The website has over 800,000 active sellers and a 15 million-person marketplace across 150 countries. Etsy’s gross merchandise sales reached $525 million last year. The company’s CEO, however, was not entirely pleased with how far the company has come. In fact, he is committed to taking Etsy beyond the profit-making entity that it was, by using the power of business for social and environmental change. With topics like social entrepreneurship discussed in class, it was interesting to see such a large business bridge the gap between profit and social change. Having used the website numerous times for personal use, it was interesting to discover that my actions online can been part of more than just a financial transaction. The Etsy team has proposed numerous ideas and they are on their way to becoming more sustainable and community-oriented! I look forward to their success!

I found that other posts on this  blog were relatable and easy to read. I would recommend this blog to others because it comes from a reliable business source and the posts are interesting and engaging!

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/11/etsys_hackathon_for_good.html