Amulet by Roberto Bolaño

Amulet written by the Chilean novelist Roberto Bolaño is a great book! I liked reading it from start and never found myself counting how many pages they were left until I got to the end. Similar to many of the books we have read I noticed the theme of ‘memory’ coming up again. From the first few pages Auxilio Lacouture, the protagonist of the novel says “I’ve got no memory for dates anymore, or exactly where my wanderings took me;” As we continue reading I noticed Bolano uses a dreamlike tone. In addition,  I quickly picked up on the forgetful, repetitive and diary-like syntax of the narration. I loved the way it was written because it felt personal almost like we were in the reader’s mind. Not just like other books, when we kinda know we’re in their minds. This time it felt like we were sitting right beside them while they would ‘wander’. From stating a claim, then go back on the claim, then supporting that claim. Sometimes, it felt like we might have been going in circles.

“Maybe it was madness that impelled me to travel. It could have been madness. I used to say it was culture. Of course culture sometimes is, or involves, a kind of madness. Maybe it was a lack of love that impelled me to travel. Or an overwhelming abundance of love. Maybe it was madness.”

I loved reading this line! I read it over and over again. It reminded me of me! Often, I find myself going on tangents. Ruminating over a thought until that thought is something completely different or simply a reiteration of the very first thought. It’s not necessarily fun but it usually gives people the chance to gain clarity, reassurance or comfort. In my case, it’s usually for all three! I’d say that Auxilio does it for the same reason. Sometimes, it isn’t necessary at all or it’s for something extremely small! Like their tangent about the vase. I thought to myself, ‘oh we’re still talking about that?’ or the little figurines when they said “they were so pretty. tiny and pretty.” Though there might not be a ‘good reason’ for rumination, it allows the reader to have a choice between making their own questions about their past, future, present. As well as, having the choice of answering the many rhetorical ones Auxilio asks. For example when Auxilio says, “Am I making any sense?”. We could agree that the narrator here is talking directly at the reader. Wh they are describing Don Pedro Garfias, they often repeat themselves. “Don Pedro Garfias, such a melancholy man, so sad about Spain and the world in general”. 

Food for thought:

1. Do you think that Auxilio spends time ruminating to comfort, soothe, reassure herself? Why might other people repeat themselves or seem forgetful? Does this only happen during extraneous circumstances or new environments?
  2. Do you think that breaking the fourth wall by addressing the reader directly, allows us to become closer to the narrator? Does it have any other goal?

If you like – Nando’s, I strongly recommend the Peri-Peri shack!

Thanks for reading. 🙂

W, or the Memory of Childhood: Distance or Familiarity?

I really enjoyed reading W, or the Memory of Childhood by Georges Perec! It was the first book I sat through and finished in a day. The novel felt extremely personable and familiar. From the first few pages, the reader is engaged. “For years, I took comfort in such absence of history”, hold tremendous weight and deeper meaning. Especially, today when it is so common for people to share their baby pictures online, during traditional holidays like Christmas and even on dates! A lot of the time, it’s even part of small talk! So, when confronted with someone who has absolutely no memory of their childhood this automatically makes us question; what happened to you? As we follow along his journey to the fictional island of W, the uses of artefacts and documents help recreate the past he cannot reach and the past he has yet to learn.

While reading I also took note of the ‘puzzle’ structure of the novel. Each story that Perec shares feed into the other. Not only does it help form it but is also formed by it. This is why to me, the details are important to the development of Perec’s voyage, rather than redundant. I particularly noticed that there was no real attempt to keep the truth of W a secret from the reader. At first, I thought that this would be the case to possibly keep the reader engage. However, I believe Perec found other ways to do just that! I also argue that the story and meaning behind W are too entwined with Perec’s memory of childhood. Thus, the details not only accumulate but are presented in blunt bullets of information. Almost like when we remember something out of the blue!

Remembering is a task! It is also a privilege that many take for granted. Memory is painful, not just for someone like Perec, but for any child who has had to experience turmoil during their foundation years. If people relate to one another through memory, what does this imply for Perec? For people with early-onset dementia or Alzheimer’s? Memory can create distance and that distance can make us feel sorry. “I have no childhood memories” (p.6) 🙁 still a great read!

1. have you ever felt like there was a gap in your memory during crucial moments of your development? how has it contributed to the ways you interact with memory today?
  2. How did you find the structure of the book? Was it coherent? Did it make sense to you or was it frustrating to follow?

Nada

Carmen Laforet writes in a way that allows the reader to fully immerse themselves in Andrea’s brutal encounters while simultaneously reminding us how resilient she is. The same resilience is instilled in us, once we recognize that Andrea can handle whatever comes her way! While reading Nada, I could really appreciate the amount of depth the author used to detail and describe Andrea’s surroundings. This style of writing makes a reader want to keep turning the page. Carmen Laforet has created a heroine who has fought for leaving the country to study in Barcelona. She silently stands up to the Angustias and becomes an example of freedom. Despite her apparent apathy, the reader is still able to tell that she is a fighter! This book really reminds us to not be ‘fooled’ by people who may seem to not give a fuss about anything. They usually are people who take their time to make sense of their world. Compared to many others, who can’t stay present in their actions or thoughts. 

Personally, I feel like this allows the reader to feel like they’re a part of the moment. We’ve previously talked about how reading can be a form of escapism. Well, I argue that Carmen Laforet takes the reader on a journey that illustrates the importance of the character’s presence, surroundings and behaviour. It becomes an immersive experience of the character’s feelings and intentions.  For example, the city of Barcelona adds to Andrea’s experience, as well as, the readers. Andrea flees from the house and spends hours wandering in the city’s streets. The architecture and the weather leave marks on her moods. This gives the reader insight into her personhood. The way she chooses to recognize and cope with her troubles bring the reader closer to the trouble. They may relate! They may not. Either way, it’s used as a guide to help us understand the character in a system that reveals to be designed against them. 

1. Did you feel like the writing style brought you closer to the character’s experience or further away? If so, how? 
  2. While reading Nada, did the example of Andrea wandering around the city of Barcelona also catch your attention? If so, in what way? 

How much work did you get done last week?

Nada much. (Not that much! aha. 🙂

.

The Shrouded Woman – My take

I really enjoyed this week’s reading of The Shrouded Woman by Maria Luisa Bombal. Compared to the previous week’s, I didn’t have too much of a hard time finishing or understanding the text. Honestly, while reading the Shrouded Woman, at least at the beginning, it felt personable. Life is SO demanding as it is. As Ana Maria recounts her memories as a dead person we share her thoughts of feelings of high expectations of ourselves and others, responsibilities, commitments, social pressures, and so much more. Yet, we still have time to find love in different ways.

As Ana Maria, narrates her journey through the past, she relives her young love for Ricardo. While reading, I like to picture the scenes. All I could picture were coming of age scenes where it almost looks too good to be true. Until true colors are shown later on. Let me highlight a few lines I underlined in the book.

“During three vacations, I was yours.” (p 165)

“I’ll go and what’s more I’ll never come back.” “You returned the next day and I threw myself into your arms.” (p 166).

“Oh the torture of first love, of the first dillusion!” (p 167)

“You had marked me” (p 168)

The tone and diction used like “I was yours” really illustrate the intense and passionate feelings of Ana Maria’s first love. This is what I consider personable. Whether we have had our first love or not, we have all felt ‘passion’ in some way or another and this is something the reader can relate to. It made me want to continue reading! From feeling such passion, we come to a halt when Ricardo abandon’s Ana Maria and denies the complete possibility of being the father of her child.  This unfortunately is the reality of many young marginalized and disadvantaged women who fall pregnant and are not sure of what to do. There are many young BIPOC women and girls that lack the resources for sexual health and are not in an environment to ask questions. Whether it may be due to their own fears and insecurities or their beliefs, values and socialization. Sexual health matters should be addressed more transparently in schools. However, that is just my personal opinion and besides the point. I feel as though even though the realities of disadvantaged youth and Ana Maria are polar opposites, they share relatability. Reality hits and the question is, ‘What now?’

Food for thought:

• What thoughts came across your mind when you read the listed quotes?
  • How did you feel about Ana Maria telling her story as a dead person reliving her memories?

Since we’re on the topic of food… If you want late night sweets get an apple pistachio strudel from Breka Bakery. so good!

Thank you for reading! 🙂

Proust & The importance of our consumption

Whilst reading part 1 of Combray, I found myself re-reading lines and passages over and over again. I’m not too sure if this is because I wasn’t paying attention the first time round or if what I was reading was so engaging I wanted to read it again. At times I could recognise my passive reading style other times I couldn’t. I agree with most people when they say ‘reading is fundamentally essential’. It allows us to further develop our brain and is an alternative to harmful escapism habits. Everyone is glued to their phone these days. Everyone seems to be reading so much and yet so little. I’m guilty of this, so I’m not pointing fingers! Instead, of scrolling for hours on end on my phone, I spent time reading a text ‘heavy’ piece. I felt accomplished. I felt like, ‘finally’ I spent my time productively!

Oftentimes, when you begin a new book, a million thoughts run through your mind. Will this book be good? Will I be able to finish? Will it live up to my expectations? Will I be bored, will it relieve my anxiety or heighten it? Even though reading new books is fun and exciting, it can also cause some anxiety and stress like all new experiences can. Whilst re-reading, I felt like I was giving my brain a little break from said anxiety. The unknown became known, so I was able to engage with the story better. I knew the story, the characters and more. This made it simple, easy, and stress-free

At the end of the day, when you are lying in bed thinking about how you have spent your day, the feeling that you haven’t wasted it on your phone is extremely refreshing. Reading Proust allowed me to question, how much of our time is spent on our phones? Whether we are checking up on the news, reading our emails or replying back to a friend. A lot of our time is spent consuming. I believe our consumption matters to our development. What we consume is often a reflection of our character. Personally, I believe that our consumption of social media is detrimental when it isn’t balanced with thought-provoking reflection. Reading novels and text ‘heavy’ pieces like Combray gave me that chance. For example, when I was reading Proust’s passage about the nostalgia he felt drinking tea. It reminded me of the nostalgic feeling I get when I smell a certain perfume or kind of food. It reminds me of home and a safe space. It allowed me to develop a closeness to the narrator. This makes us wonder does reading need to be thought-provoking for it to be engaging?

Thank you for reading!

My favourite cartoon that reminds of my childhood: Adventure time! Fav character, Marceline, OBVI.

Hello RMST 202!

Hi!

Despite us being online, I hope everyone is having a great start to the New Year. 2022 Woop Woop! My name is Marie, and I am a 4th-year international student pursuing a degree in Sociology. Born in Khartoum, Sudan raised in Geneva, Switzerland, I hope to use my knowledge and upbringing in creating empathetic spaces for all identities. I hope to one day pursue anything related to diversity equity and inclusion or humanitarianism. I’d like to consider myself social, reliable and results-oriented. I spend most of my time trying to pick up new hobbies and skills to broaden my scope and learn new things! Whether it be learning how to create digital content, snowboarding or drawing. I always find myself wanting to know more! A lot of the time the interest fades and I don’t know whether that’s a sign of some sort of deficiency or lack of discipline, aha! Time will tell.

I’m really excited to embark on this new year with a clear head and grounded state of mind. It’s been a difficult few years for us all. Sometimes, I forget we are still living in a pandemic. It almost feels surreal! Yet here we are, still soldering on. Honestly, with the life we’ve lived so far, no matter where we came from, it gives me a sense of comfort that all of us are struggling in some sort of way. It feels liberating and allows us to feel less alone. In the past years, I feel as though more than ever, I have been able to familiarize myself with spending time on my own. Just like many of you, I’m sure. Being able to take things one at a time, being reflective and introspective has really allowed me to be more in touch with myself AND my thoughts.

I am really excited to take this class because it will give me an opportunity to put into practice what I’ve learned. Appreciating the sun, appreciating the rain, appreciating the moments of solitude and most importantly, appreciating the time it takes to read a page. If I’m being completely honest, I’m not a reader. I’ve always struggled to keep reading a book once I’ve put it down. However, as one of my new year’s resolutions, I would like to read more fiction and non-fiction. The act itself has been draining in the past but like I’ve said, I am determined to appreciate the time it takes to read a page.

Thank you for reading!

Here’s my fav quote because I know you were wondering:

Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is you-er than you. – Dr Seuss