Task 1: What’s in your bag?

I have always been the kind of person who takes great care in my personal objects. The items in my bag, the tools on my desk, the objects around my apartment are all well thought out, all curated. For example, I work at an  office and refuse to use any of the provided office supplies; my stapler is Italian made, my calculator was designed by Dieter Rams, my ruler is vintage, etc. One would also not be likely to find scraps of paper or wrappers amongst my effects: I purge these things daily. This photograph is itself a text technology, these items documented together provide a glimpse of what I would like to show you about me. It’s strange to think about, since I didn’t curate these items especially for this photo, they already were curated as though I live my life ready for show-and-tell. Does the photo illustrate a person in control? A person who is guarded? A person who likes nice things? A person who is prepared?

I am all of the above, though not in any kind of consistent way. Personally, I think if you really wanted to know me, all you’d have to do is watch my facial expressions – that’s where I give it all away.

1. Fjallraven bag with the logo removed

The removal of the logo was intentional. I like the size and design of the bag but am attempting to avoid participation in the cult of the Fjallraven bag.

1. Pin with coloured beads

This might remind you of the Bauhaus, and it should!  I made it in Berlin at a 90’s-vibe bead store, while waiting for my partner to look at records. On that same trip we visited the Bauhaus in Dessau.

1. Face mask with flowers

Don’t we all have a face mask in our bags right now? I usually aim to have my face mask colour coordinated with my outfit. Perhaps you could call my initial wearing of a face mask a text technology.  I started wearing them early on, in April.  At that time the officials were saying the masks didn’t appear to help much, but I still wore it as a symbol, a statement. A signifier that I was wearing the mask in case it did help not only me, but my fellow community members.

1. Reusable bag, mended

This is my first ever re-usable bag that I’ve had for almost 10 years. I usually have at least two of these in my bag.

1. Measuring tape

My partner’s sister bought me this German-made measuring tape at a store in Brooklyn where she lives. She told me the owner of the store collects special objects from around the world to sell. When I use this tape I feel warmed that Meagan picked out such a fitting gift for me, and continue to wonder about this magical object store in Brooklyn.

1. Elastoplast Tin with Band-Aids inside

I used to keep tampons in here. Now there are just Band-Aids, which I understand are a competing brand of adhesive bandages. You never know when you’ll need a Band-Aid. He wouldn’t agree, but I am usually more prepared than my Eagle Scout spouse.

1. Delfonics pencil case with Staedtler Coloured markers

Delfonics is a Japanese stationery company (they also make the Rollbahn notebooks, see below). Delfonics knows their products are text technologies – I found this statement on their website:

“The culture that evolves from 1 pen or 1 sheet of paper is infinite.
In other words, stationery is not only a tool, but at the same times also represents a portal to culture.”

1. Rollbahn notebook

These are my favourite notebooks.  They aren’t too precious, but they have everything I need to support notetaking, drawing, and idea collecting: graph paper, plastic envelope sleeves, perforated pages for easy ripping, cardboard cover and elastic band closure. An obvious text technology: a tool that allows me to record the ideas that I choose to assemble and develop through comprehensive language.

1. Leather monographed wallet

My friend Stu is a structural drafter. I bought him a fancy mechanical pencil and had his name engraved on it. (He loves having his name engraved on things, like his cell phone).  He always gives gifts that relate to the gifts I gave him. One birthday I gave him a ceramic knife, and he bought me literally the same knife for my birthday a month later. So, to return the pencil gift, he bought me a leather wallet with my name “E. MARRANCA” embossed on it. This was weird, having your name on your wallet isn’t comparably as useful as having your name on your pencil. Saying, “hey, that’s my pencil, my name’s on it!” feels a lot less heavy than “hey, that’s my wallet, my name’s on it!” Regardless, I’ve used this wallet ever since.

1. Hand sanitizer

This is a must right now. I have several half-used hand sanitizers around the house, but this one smells like lemongrass.

1. Hand moisturizer

I am obsessed with complex and nostalgic scent compositions and about once a year I splurge on fancy hand moisturizer from Aseop.

1. Toque

I bought this hat at No-Frills. No kidding. I always have a hat in my bag in the winter, usually a scarf too.

1. Fingerless gloves, mended

I remember buying these gloves at the army surplus store near Broadway and Commercial a few years ago.  Shortly after, I ate pizza across the street, alone at Uncle Fatih’s while waiting for my friends to meet me to watch the movie The Square at the Rio.

1. Keys with bottle opener and knife

This bottle opener is so well-designed it’s lasted at least 50 years, probably more. The knife, on the other hand, keeps falling open and nicking my hand – good thing I carry Band-Aids.  It will likely get confiscated next time I fly, as is the ritual.

10 Years ago

(I went with 10 years because I could not accurately guess what I would have in my bag 15 years ago, at 19 years old. However, I do know there would have been a large black spiral bound sketch book, because I thought that item was essential to being an artist):

• Rolltop SealLine backpack
  • Molskine notebook, black, no lines
  • leather pencil case (still have this) with Faber Castell S black pens (still use these too)
  • leather make-up bag (still use this for travel)
  • Vintage leather and fabric wallet with tiny ducks embroidered on it (miss this, it fell apart)
  • $1 Army Nave toque
  • Vintage wool scarf
  • Wooden Swiss Army Knife
  • Used Alice Munro book

Reference List:

Delfonics. About Us. Delfonics. Retrieved January 23, 2021 from http://www.delfonics.com/en.html