Posted by: | 18th Sep, 2009

Twittering

So I’m still not on Facebook, but I’ve signed up for Twitter and added the accounts of my classmates (haven’t checked to see if anyone else I know is on there yet). Coming from an English background, I’m a little perturbed by the 140 character limit. I’m not a grammar-police guy, but seeing the way that articles and pronouns are cut and verbs are shortened in order to save on space made me feel squeamish. I use text messaging on my cellphone a lot, but I normally write more than 140 characters on two or three slides to get across what I want to say. I’m sure I’ll get used to the new format of Twitter and the fact that it’s only really for brief, brief statements (or maybe terse extensions of blogs?), but for the time being I can’t help but wonder what its effect on language is going to be after a generation grows up with it.

Another thing about the Twitter sign-up – after only a few seconds of registering my account and beginning to add classmates, I had a couple of followers. I was excited at first, thinking that this whole time the internet was waiting for me to plug into the dominant social networking tools that are out there, but this wasn’t the case. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was profiled very quickly and internet-porn businesses had started marketing to me. I still have to learn how to block people or restrict access for those who want to follow my account, so for the time being I have some weird people watching for my Tweets. Amazing how pervasive the hunt for money is once something gets popular.

I don’t know how practical a tool I find it yet, but I think that’s because I’m still unfamiliar with the controls. Seeing “@so-and-so” meant nothing to me until I did a little digging, and the system that they have to follow chains of conversations is strange… I’ll probably edit this post once I’ve had more of a chance to play with the system.

Responses

Scott, @giustini taught me a while ago and I looked you up when he tweeted about you. I have found Twitter far more useful for professional purposes than Facebook which I update rarely though probably good for keeping in touch with friends & family. Yes, you will need to actively screen potential followers – so be sure to open each e-mail notice, check the profiles of “would-be-followers” & decide whether they are desirable. I now pay close attention to all those e-mails. Twitter is very powerful and that’s why marketers have jumped on it so it’s tricky to zero down on how to put it to good use. I am a librarian working in health communication and exploring the potential of social media in e-health, social marketing & health promotion – See my post: http://shebamuturi.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/social-media-strategy-roi/ Keep learning & sharing!

I laughed when I read that you were so pleased you had followers right away and thought the Internet had just been waiting for you to plug in. That is the weird thing about Twitter – people follow you just so you’ll follow them. And in my first foray into Twitter a few months ago I ended up terminating my account because I had too many emails that people I didn’t know were following me. Then I decided I’d block them, then it all got to be too much work for the value I was getting out of it.
But I’m back on board for this course, and because work (BCIT) is really pushing it – the Marketing department wants as many employees and students tweeting as possible. They see it as an opportunity to tell stories and for potential students and parents to find out about us.

Hi Scott,

(Also Sheba and Deirdre…. 🙂

I very much like these words from their posts: Twitter is “an opportunity to tell stories and for potential students and parents to find out about us” and “exploring the potential of social media”.

I think that’s what we’re doing in LIBR559M. We can just enjoy the journey. Dean

Leave a response

Your response: