Posted by: | 28th Oct, 2009

Social Media and VPL

So I was lucky enough to attend a staff conference at Vancouver Public Library yesterday that focused on the use of social media to promote library services. Originally, it was just meant to be about Twitter, but it turns out that the library’s intentions are more reaching in scope than just the use of one tool. Over the course of the hour and a half, the head of IT informed us of the many different ways that VPL is trying to assert its presence on the web, with extended talks regarding FaceBook, YouTube and Twitter. She started off, however, discussing FourSquare: a program that allows you to identify where you are at any given moment so as to alert your friends. This program is already being used by businesses in order to promote their services – she noted that many pubs around the city will offer you a free drink if you identify that you’re at their location, whereas stores will offer you discounts on their merchandise. The director suggested that VPL offer something similar (whether this be gifts or greater loan periods) for people willing to advertise their presence and use of VPL.

This was really the underlying message of the talk, being advertisement and marketing. Searching VPL on Flickr, for example, yields hundreds of photos not posted by VPL itself (and, problematically, a host of photos representing the other common meaning of VPL:  “visible panty line”) – a recurring theme is that we often don’t have control over how our institutions are represented on social networking sites, so regardless of whether or not we have the time to get involved, the public is involving us already. Failing to acknowledge this and keep current with the library’s online image means that we aren’t responding to the way that we’re being referenced, whether this be in either a positive or negative light. More importantly, she implied that diverting funds to marketing on these sites would be more productive than traditional, paper-based marketing, especially since the public does the majority of the work for us here. She even noted one patron’s development of an application that you can use to search Amazon to find reviews of information resources that directly links to VPL’s database – again, this application was developed entirely at the patron’s expense, without even the knowledge of VPL that the patron was working on a tool to provide better access to the library’s collections.

The use of these tools, however, is still in its infancy for the institution itself. The director did note that VPL has one of the most active library Twitter accounts in North America (fourth, by her ranking), and that its FaceBook page has been developing at a good pace (currently with 800 fans), with side pages added for group discussions about the library’s services and events. Its YouTube account, however, hasn’t been much of a success given that there are only eleven videos at last count each with less than a hundred views. Despite this, there was definitely a concentration on using video both to promote the library and offer diversity in our teaching tools – she named several sites (jing being the best) for screencapture that we could use in order to show patrons how to access information via email. They may, as well, be instituting screencaps as demonstrations in a “how do I use this?” type of link on their website for the more challenging tools (namely databases) that VPL offers.

There were, however, some problems identified with using SNS’s, and while some of these were more obvious (ie issues of money and time to develop and implement them), there were others that I hadn’t considered. Some of the programs that seemed to have real value to them (like applications that would allow easy access to Twitter feeds from the reference desk) couldn’t be integrated into the library’s ILS due to technical reasons, and it’s often very difficult to develop workarounds for these. Moreover, the hierarchy of an organization as large as VPL plays a role in developing communication about policies and practices between branches that are taking their first steps into the SNS environment – there is currently no formal policy regarding how the library should be representing itself in these various mediums. And this is a problem, as the library is arguably more accountable for its actions than, say, a random user – copyright infringement and issues of privacy are quite significant, and the library has already gotten in trouble for posting video of its patrons using its services without thinking of the importance of consent. There are a lot of legalities surrounding the use of SNS’s when incorporated into business practices that seem to make them more far more problematic that when employed for personal use.

This said, the session was definitely a call to arms for the library to start creating content that can be posted online. While it’s not mandatory that the branches each set up Twitter and FaceBook accounts, it was strongly promoted as a direction which we should all be moving towards. We were also informed that we can (and should, perhaps) create innovative and interesting videos that we can then post to YouTube or other video sharing sites – that we can do this over the phone (as we were shown how to do) made the idea seem all the more realistic. Many in the audience seemed skeptical, however, and it was obvious that time constraints were a large factor in the apprehension displayed by the staff. Given that SNS use is now a mandate of VPL’s future direction for the library and its branches, it looks like it will be moving forward with a greater presence that capitalizes on the available technologies as they arise regardless of the challenges that it presents. As the director mentioned, VPL’s presence on social networking / media sites is going to happen anyway – we might as well get involved so that we use them to their full potential.

Responses

Hi Scott,

I’m so glad you enjoyed the session! One thing though: I’m not the head of IT – I’m not even a Systems librarian. My title is Web Services Librarian, and I’m a part of the Online Information & News Division.

Thanks again for stopping by, and if you ever have any comments or suggestions for me, I’m happy to entertain them.

Interesting — was the whole talk led by the IT person? I’d expect there to be a PR or marketing perspective as well. As you point out, a lot of the policy needs to be shaped around consistency of image and trying to control how the library is represented through these media.

(And the other meaning of VPL is a ceaseless source of amusement, whenever I talk to someone who isn’t from Vancouver.)

Hi Cecily!

Oops. Part of my writing “director of IT” was in hopes that it was synonymous with the position that you (Cecily) held – I was trying to provide some sort of anonymity, as I wasn’t even sure that I was allowed to be blogging about the meeting at all. Now that you’ve popped on here though, thanks for the clarification! I’m actually blown away that you found this post almost immediately after I put it up… Just proves the degree to which VPL is constantly watching its web presence!

Thanks again,

— Scott

I do wonder Scott, at my library I don’t think Twitter would fly (yet). I really don’t feel enough of our library users (we serve a population of just over 10,000) even use computers enough to follow us on Twitter or use social media tools. We have about 90 Facebook followers out of our community, most being from our youth population. Did the presentation talk at all about the fact there is that barrier?

Hi Roen;

Not so much an issue at VPL… If anything, it’s the opposite. VPL currently has 2097 Twitter followers (!) and 800 FaceBook fans. The numbers for VPL actually indicate quite a demand for the library to start using social networking software / sites, and they’ve even answered reference questions in these forums. I’m sure that there are a lot of patrons that are unfamiliar with Twitter and so on, but there’s certainly no talk of having these tools replace any of the pre-existing means of library communication – they’re acting as extensions of the tools that are already in place. As far as barriers go, it felt to me that the only obstacle was getting the librarians on board to start using the tools that the patrons are already capitalizing on.

— Scott

VPL is a leader in SNS – we started Tweeting after their example.
It’s interesting you felt that the skepticism and apprehension from staff centred around time constraints – do you think the time constraints include the time it takes to learn how to use a new application? In your opinion, were most of the skeptics familiar and users of SNS, or not?

Leave a response

Your response: