Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#029: In The Night Garden…creepy shiznit!

November 30th, 2008 by Mary Leong

Currently listening to: “Maurice au bistro” – Les Cowboys Fringants

So most of you know that I work at Indigo. Work is always delightful; usually, it’s a complete laugh, and the books we get in are moderately decent, for the most part. Except on rare occasions. The other day at work, I was shelving a bunch of children’s books, and they were the scariest things I’ve ever had the misfortune to lay eyes upon. I am speaking of the “In The Night Garden” book series, also a BBC (gasp!) children’s television show. These books are some of the most disturbing things I have ever seen in my life, and I am downright opposed to the sale of these books. Why are they igniting such a radical flame of anger in me, you may inquire? LET ME TELL YOU.

Firstly, the book characters are bloody creepy. Let me direct your attention to some of the book covers:

Secondly, who named these characters? Igglepiggle? Upsy Daisy?? Ninky Nonk?!?!? Good god, this is bizarre.

Thirdly, I decided to read the books. Don’t judge by a rubbish cover and whatnot.
You know what? If the covers look anything like that, go ahead and judge, because the content’s not much better. Let me summarize the plot of one of the books I skimmed through – “Upsy Daisy loves the Ninky Nonk”:

here for your viewing pleasure.

So. Plot summary. The Upsy Daisy roams the forest, kissing wildlife and plant varieties indiscriminately. The Ninky Nonk, a train (?!?!) shows up, and is sad. Upsy Daisy kisses the train and it cheers up. Everyone is happy and goes to sleep.

What kind of message is this sending out to impressionable young children? In the guise of cheery (uh…think utterly frightening) creatures (occasionally nude, in the case of one particular character), I would see this to be the rampant spread of promiscuity among the young. Small children will roam around thinking it’s perfectly alright to emulate any of the above activities, including (but not limited to) kissing public transport. Honestly.

Fourthly, the television series is even worse, if possible.
PART ONE of “The Ninky Nonk Adventure”. I can’t follow the train of thought, or plot, if any. Just watch it. Seriously. You’ll understand my reaction after viewing such an abomination.

I ought to be studying for finals now, by the way.
Ta for now.

Tags:   · 5 Comments

5 responses so far ↓

• 1 Eastwood Dec 1, 2008 at 12:01 pm

hahah! nice review.. sigh, looks like I’ll have to think twice before getting those books for xmas!

• 2 Phoebe Yu Dec 1, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Hahaha oh my god someone finally pointed out the bizarreness in this! I was unfortunate enough to watch a few eps (my cousin had it on TV) and I thought there was something wrong w/ me because I could NOT understand what was going on.

Let’s all go back to Blue’s Clues, Art Attack, and intellectual shows like that. No teletubbies pls.

• 3 Tysune Dec 2, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Their names actually made me laugh out loud XD

• 4 Ninky Nonk Dec 10, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Are you actually serious?.. Seems like a normal childrens book to me..
    The names are quite funny though.

• 5 Humaira Dec 16, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Definitely brought a smile to my face. I agree – bring back the good stuff!