Application Letter

Oxberry Avenue, London, UK, SW6 5SP

26th May, 2022

ENGL 301, University Of British Columbia, University Endowment Lands, BC V6T 1Z1

Dear Classmates,

Please consider my application for membership in your writing team, as advertised by Professor Paterson on the English 301 Blog. I am currently working towards completing a Bachelor of Arts in History, set to be completed in December 2022, and I am looking to improve my technical writing skills before graduating and hope to do so by working alongside like-minded classmates.

As a History major, I must write long and detailed papers that highlight my research and accurately convey an argument; my experience as a historian means that I am confident in communicative writing. My main weakness in writing is my grammar, though it is something that I have been improving on.

Professionally I am interested in going into a career in marketing with hopes of progressing to a managerial position. I have previous experience as a manager, working as a shift leader at the King’s Arms, a bustling pub in London. Though in a different occupation, I believe my management experience has helped me develop skills that will be applicable in other environments. My time as a bar maid has taught me to work well under pressure, interact with all kinds of people and allowed me to practice working with a team. I have previously volunteered with children at the 21st/23rd Fulham Scout Group, entertaining and teaching a group of 30 5 to 8-year-olds, which has allowed me to build on my organisation and communication skills.

I am a driven and enthusiastic person. I believe in putting 100% into my work and learning as I find the experience is much more enjoyable and gratifying when you try your hardest. I like to keep to a schedule and hand in assignments ahead of time whenever possible, and it does mean that a weakness of mine is that I get easily frustrated when projects are behind schedule. However, striving to get projects and assignments in early means that I am relatively organised and self-motivated. Personally, I consider hands on learning to be incredibly important. I find that being an active participant in my learning is the most effective way for me to educate myself.

I think my organisation and communication skills and my ability to work in a team are assets that will help me work with and aid my peers as we aim to improve our technical writing skills throughout the duration of this course.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my application. If you think we would get along and work well together, please email me at matildamurray1@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Matilda Murray

301 Matilda Murray Application Letter