UNIT 3 Reflection

Researching for my report was a little bit of a struggle. Some of my research was new but relatively simple, like conducting interviews. Finding and analysing secondary sources was also something I was comfortable with, as I have a lot of practice. However, conducting the surveys was entirely foreign and more challenging than expected. It was rather daunting asking people if they wanted to take a survey; many were too busy enjoying their night and did not want to be bothered, which I understand entirely. Finding people sober enough to give accurate answers was also tricky; I forgot to account for this issue when organising my research. Still, despite my troubles, I was pleasantly surprised by my sample sizes and thought I collected enough data to show accurate trends. Organising my report had to be the most challenging part of the report writing process. I struggled to find the best way to structure my data so it flowed well. However, in the end, I was quite happy with my structure, and my Peer review returned with no mention of the issue. I felt reasonably comfortable writing my report as my major gives me a lot of experience analysing research. One thing I did find challenging was writing with a You Attitude. The guidelines given to me certainly helped, but there are so many elements to remember that it definitely gave me pause for thought. I think business writing is often quite direct, and balancing this with a You Attitude is somewhat of an art that requires a fair bit of practice.

I was a little disappointed with the peer review I received, which I worry will impact my final report. I think I would have preferred a little more explanation and examples. I felt that some of the suggestions were very difficult to understand, particularly the one about my scope section. Despite this, there were still some excellent suggestions that I will certainly apply to my finished work. I find myself getting more conformable with every peer review I write. I see a considerable improvement in my ability since starting the course. The main issue I identified in Juanita’s work was some issues with word choice. I provided multiple examples and suggestions. I was worried about how many examples I offered as I did not want to overwhelm or upset her. However, in the peer review I received in Unit 1, I was told some of my word choices made sentences seem awkward. However, my reviewer gave few examples of what was wrong, and I could not identify what my peer reviewer suggested I alter. I think everyone has a unique writing style, and it can often be difficult to spot awkward phrasing in your own work, so I chose to be thorough to avoid any confusion and ensure that Juanita’s final report is as polished as possible.

Unit 3 was undoubtedly challenging. A significant amount of work had to go into the report, and writing with a You Attitude definitely challenged me. Still, I feel the work is paying off, and I am fine-tuning my skills.

Formal-Report-Draft-MM-1