Biography

Hello Everyone!
My name is Matilda Murray, and I am a 4th-year History student at UBC. I am from London, England and have had a very international life, living in London, Toronto, Vancouver, Jamaica, Abu Dhabi and The Netherlands. I am particularly interested in 20th-century European history, focussing on the world wars, rebuilding afterwards through the formation of the European Union, as well as decolonisation and its effects. I enjoy trying new restaurants, going to the gym, travelling, and going to museums in my free time.
For the past three years, I have worked as a bar maid in a pub in London, where I have worked my way up to Bar Supervisor. I have enjoyed working at the pub; there is never a dull moment. We are located next to Fulham Football Club and Chelsea Football Club, so it is very chaotic on match days. Though I do not intend to continue working as a bar maid, my experience as a Bar Supervisor has highlighted my strength in leading a team which I hope to one day do in another profession.
I am not entirely sure what I intend to do after I graduate from university, an affliction I’m certain plagues many university students. Recently I have been considering marketing or becoming a head hunter as both professions would allow me to utilise the research skills I have developed as a History major. I am leaning more towards marketing as I have been talking to a family friend in marketing, and I think it sounds rather interesting. I plan on taking some courses on Coursera to learn more about the profession and help me when applying for jobs.