Professional Development Reflection on GEOB 270

Posted by in Reflection

GEOB 270 Accomplishment Statements:

• Gained practical working knowledge of ArcGIS software and worked with a variety of classes of datasets in multiple contexts for geographic analysis.
  • Examined and appropriately repaired geospatial data sets to prepare for further analysis.
  • Created composite images from remote sensing data to examine the effects of the Mt. St. Helens eruption by comparing the surrounding area pre and post-eruption.
  • Used spatial and tabular datasets to create a map to determine and communicate the areas of the City of Vancouver and important facilities that may be at risk from a tsunami.
  • Normalized housing cost data by median household income to create a housing affordability measure to effectively compare housing prices in Vancouver and Montreal.
  • Combined multiple different data types and analysis techniques to illustrate the environmental concerns involved in a large scale environmental impact assessment.

Personal Statement:

I am a MSc student in the UBC Occupational and Environmental Hygiene program with a keen interest in environmental issues and community health impacts. I have recently worked on a number of GIS projects such as: examining the true landuse within British Columbia’s Agricultural Land Reserves (ALRs), assessing the environmental impact of a large scale proposed ski resort, comparing housing affordability between Vancouver and Montreal by normalizing housing cost data by median household incomes, and identifying the areas of the City of Vancouver and important infrastructure and facilities that could be impacted by the effects of a tsunami. As a result of this experience I have become proficient at using GIS software to perform various geographical analyses and I am excited to apply these skills in future research and professional opportunities.