Environmental Assessments – Garibaldi at Squamish

Posted by in Analysis

skimap.org

Image from skimap.org

For this project we performed an environmental assessment of the proposed Garibaldi at Squamish ski resort that is located on Brohm Ridge on the slopes of Mt. Garibaldi above Squamish and sits right on the border of Garibaldi Provincial Park. We evaluated how a number of environmental concerns would affect the proposed project area, including the altitude, old growth management areas, river riparian areas, the winter range of ungulates and the ecosystems of red-listed plant species. The results can be seen in the map below:

Map

As part of the project we were also tasked to write a memo from the perspective of a natural resources planner who had been contracted by one of the stakeholders of the project to perform this review. This was an interesting task as it was an exercise that could evolve in the professional world where you may become involved in a proposal that you may not ethically believe in. I was assigned to make the argument on behalf of the BC Snowmobile Federation against the proposal which is the side that I do agree with. Large projects such as these are complex issues as there are so many variables that go into determining the long term effects, both positive and negative. The proposed project could bring more economic activity into the Sea to Sky corridor, however I think the elevation of the proposed resort is simply not feasible to justify making the necessary investment into this project as the uncertainty of freezing levels and snowfall in this area is only increasing. I believe the environmental impacts of the project would be limited if it were to go ahead, so I exaggerated the importance of these effects in my memo, however there are many other issues that the project faces. One is the use of water in this area as there is already a heavy drain on local water sources by the towns of Whistler and Squamish and as snowpacks decrease and glaciers continue to recede in the area this will become a greater concern. Another issue is encroachment into the provincial park. The resort as proposed sits right on the border of Garibaldi park which would be the logical place to expand the resort if constructed. Higher terrain sits right next door over the park boundary. There are a lot of conflicts of interest here as that area of the park is heavily used by snowmobilers during the winter and also backcountry skiers. Squamish residents also have concerns over the increased traffic that would occur and so I’m sure this project will continue to be a hotly debated issue on both sides before it is accepted or rejected.

My memo on behalf of the BC Snowmobile Federation arguing against the project.

Memo – Garibaldi at Squamish Environmental Review

By Matthew Wagstaff – Natural Resource Planner

This environmental assessment was conducted to evaluate the feasibility of the proposed Garibaldi at Squamish ski resort project. I am a natural resource planner who has been retained by the BC Snowmobile Federation (BCSF) to perform this analysis. The project area was evaluated with regards to the altitude and the amount of environmentally sensitive areas that would be affected if the project were to go ahead. This was performed by acquiring data on the important environmental issues that would be affected by the project (old growth management areas, important ecosystems for red-listed species, river riparian zones and the winter range of ungulates) and mapping them onto the project area. The result of this analysis can be seen in the attached map. The general results were:

• 29.9% of the project area sits below 555m and is unlikely to receive sufficient snowfall for consistent ski resort operations
  • 53.47% of the project area consists of environmentally sensitive areas that will be negatively affected by the development of this project
    • River riparian zones make up 28.03% of the project area
    • Important ecosystems for red-listed plant species makes up 24.83% of the project area
    • 7.89% of the project area is important winter habitat for Ungulates
    • Old growth management areas make up 6.78% of the project area and will not be able to be removed during the construction of the project.

River riparian zones may not be greatly affected by ski resort development as they will be under snow for the winter season and the effects of summer activities at the resort (such as mountain biking and hiking) could be mitigated to reduce the effects on rivers by building small bridges and ensuring that patrons stick to designated trails. The old growth management areas are dispersed throughout the project area and so ski runs and other development will need to be planned to avoid these areas as removal of these trees is prohibited. Clearing areas for ski runs and the resort however will see reductions in important ecosystems both for red-listed plant species and winter habitat for Ungulates. These may be the two largest of the environmental concerns as there are very few ways to mitigate the effects the project will have on these areas compared with how the effects on rivers can be mitigated and the old growth areas can be avoided.

Based on the results of this assessment, I believe my client (the BC Snowmobile Federation) and Whistler Blackcomb amongst others are right to continue to oppose this project. I believe the biggest concern for the project is the snowfall projections at the altitude of the proposed project area with 29.9% of the project area sitting below 555m and the max altitude sitting below 2000m. Further analysis of slope gradients within the proposed project area also suggests that there is an abundance of low slope angle areas that would be perfect for beginner ski areas but there is a limited amount of slopes that would be suitable for more advanced skiing to ensure the popularity and success of the resort. These factors could be significant in impacting the number of skiers that choose this resort when they have the alternative option of Whistler Blackcomb nearby which has higher elevations and contains a greater variety of terrain. These feasibility concerns paired with the environmental concerns I believe are strong evidence upon which to oppose the Garibaldi at Squamish project.