2:4 – The Assumptions Made on History

by maya sumel

For Assignment 2:4, I chose to answer question 3 at the end of unit 2, which is based on a section on John Lutz’s book ‘Myth and Memory’. The section I read and analyzed for this question was “First Contact as a Spiritual Performance: Encounters on the North American West Coast”.

Lutz makes an assumption in this section of his book about his audience. Lutz assumes that “one of the most obvious difficulties is comprehending the performances of the Indigenous participants” (Lutz, “First Contact” 32). By Lutz making this assumption, he encompasses his entire audience, including me, into it. Question three asks what I make of this reading, and if Erika (our instructor) is being fair when she points to this assumption, and in turn, if Lutz is being fair when he makes this assumption. As our professor Erika mentions, it is because “one must of necessity enter a world that is distant in time and alien in culture, attempting to perceive indigenous performance through their eyes as well as those of the Europeans”. 

I found that Lutz has a very general, yet in depth outlook on first encounters, and what I found particularly interesting is how he mentions that both parties aim to minimize danger and maximize opportunities. He has an extremely interesting outlook on the European colonisation of Indigenous peoples which I enjoyed reading. I do agree with Erika’s assumption that Lutz believes his readers belong to European descent, which is not always the truth. His assumption also suggests that it is more difficult for a European to understand Indigenous performances, rather than Indigenous peoples understanding European performances. Even though Lutz is making generalizes assumptions, they hold a majority of the truth. While I am not from European descent, I am sure that most people reading his work are, which adds truth to what he is saying.

In terms of fairness on Lutz’s end, I do believe that he is being fair. Most people, writers in particular, have to take a stance and provide reasons as to why they believe this. Lutz took the assumption that warrants more truth, and I do believe it is fair. That being said, I do believe that upon first encounters, the Indigenous peoples would have found the European mannerisms just as strange and foreign. Lutz explains that for Indigenous peoples, first contact exchanges involved integrating the appearance of the white European men with their previous long-held knowledge of the animal and spiritual world visitors they had encountered (“First Contact” 36). Lutz then went on to note that the Indigenous peoples also associated the arrival of the Europeans with the spirit world (“First Contact” 36). 

I am not too familiar with the beliefs, culture, and spirituality of Indigenous peoples here in Canada myself, but upon reading I have learnt a lot of the importance. Upon familiarizing myself, I found myself understanding Lutz’s referencing and meaning, and I do hope that other students in this class and readers do the same.

Thank you very much! Maya 🙂

Lutz, J. S., Binney, J., Dauenhauer, N. M., Dauenhauer, R., & Maclaren, I. S. (2014). Myth and Memory: Stories of Indigenous-European Contact. Vancouver: UBC Press.

“Religion and Spirituality of Indigenous Peoples in Canada.” The Canadian Encyclopedia, www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/religion-of-aboriginal-people.Joseph, Bob. “Why Continuity of Indigenous Cultural Identity Is Critical.” Why Continuity of  Indigenous Cultural Identity Is Critical, www.ictinc.ca/blog/why-is-indigenous-cultural-continuity-critical.