Assignment 2:6 – Authenticity and Truth

by maya sumel

The question I chose to answer for assignment 2:6 is question five, which poses “To raise the question of ‘authenticity’ is to challenge not only the narrative but also the ‘truth’ behind Salish ways of knowing” (Carlson, 59). This question is asking me to explain why this is the case according to Carlson, and why it is important to recognize this point.

The truth behind the narrative of ‘Salish ways of knowing’ is described by Carlson as extremely sacred to the extent that it is better not to tell a story if someone is unsure or parts are missing because ‘shortening myths would shorten the lives of all listeners’ (Carlson, 59). When Carlson says “to raise the question of ‘authenticity’ is to challenge not only the narrative but also the ‘truth’ behind Salish ways of knowing”, he is drawing upon the facts and importance of oral storytelling and accuracy. I will go more into detail below, but for Salish people, telling and sharing their myths is sacred, and as Carlson mentions, it is better to not say anything than to say something untrue. Their ways of knowing comes from traditions and beliefs passed down through generations and their culture, so when asking about authenticity, it simultaneously questions the truth behind the story and ‘Salish ways of knowing’. 

Carlson discusses how in each society it is understood that inaccurate historical narratives pose dangers to the reputation of the speaker and to the audience (Carlson, 58). Carlson also draws on how Western societies and Nazi history can depict dangerous stories as they are not told with the same authenticity or truth as Salish stories are, so that may also be a reason why people are so skeptical. These inaccurate stories may have severe consequences as well. Personally speaking, I always question what I am being told because each time a story is told it tends to change, which is also what we have learnt throughout class. That being said, it is not always the case.

The importance of the spirit world in retelling stories is one key reason to recognize this point. In this article Carlson discusses that retelling stories consists of deceased people, which are ancestors in the spirit world. He points to the importance of retelling a story, and how it is known to convene the spirits of the historical actors described (Carlson, 58). Carlson then goes on to mention that ancestral spirits are believed to be concerned with honour, integrity, and accuracy, and if their story is not told accurately they can cause ‘bad things’ to happen (Carlson, 59). It is also believed that the spirits may carry away one’s soul if their name is mentioned at night, and that is why some Salish people today do not mention the names of the deceased at night. This point also goes hand in hand with the obligation that Salish historians have to maintain the integrity of their sacred historical narratives and why people are ‘compulsively concerned about telling stories “right”’ (Carlson, 59).

This was very interesting for me to read about and discuss because I was able to see the importance of the Salish ways of knowing and of Aboriginal peoples history and their oral and written traditions. It is very different from what I have always been taught, which is to exercise caution, but Carlson explained it very well.

I hope you all enjoyed reading my blog post this week!

Thank you,

Maya 🙂

Works Cited:

Carlson, Keith Thor. “Orality and Literacy: The ‘Black and White’ of Salish History.” Orality & Literacy: Reflectins Across Disciplines. 43-72. Print.

White, Sophia. “A Very Short History of the Coast Salish People.” Culture Trip, The Culture Trip, 3 Dec. 2014, theculturetrip.com/north-america/canada/articles/a-very-short-history-of-the-coast-salish-people/.

“Oral Traditions.” Indigenousfoundations, indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/oral_traditions/.