My Commitment to Professionalism

Professionalism means behaving in a manner appropriate to ones vocation. This would include the displaying the skills needed to perform adequately, using sound judgement, and display polite behaviour in order to perform the highest standards and improve the quality of service (Demikasimoglu, 2010). A main difference between professionalism and semi-professionalism, according to Demikasimoglu (2010) and other scholars, is autonomy. To some scholars, the teaching profession is accepted as semi-professional because teachers individual autonomy is “often under organizational control” (Demikasimoglu, 2010). In other words, since the arena of which teacher perform is so controlled by standards and regulated by administration bodies, teachers are not entirely responsible to their own standard setting. Teaches have external pressures to set standards and hold them accountable.

The term ‘professional’ for my work as a teacher means that I hold myself to a higher standard. To me it means I can reflect on my practice with comfort and content knowing that I did my best for my students in all aspects of development, if that means curriculum education or as a positive role model. I understand the argument behind the distinction that teaching is a professional or semi-professional occupation, but I like to think that we as teachers have a bit of autonomy than these authors suggest. The BC Standards for Education are not detailed descriptors of teaching. Instead they are simply guidelines for educators to take in and formulate their own standards. They also serve for the public to get a sense of the work that teachers do and the way in which they behave (Ministry of Education, 2012). Also, administration does not observe teachers tirelessly. If teachers were not professionals, there would be plenty of opportunities for teachers to fail to act professional. And I think there exists teachers that do take advantage of this lack of forced accountability and do not hold the standards of a quality teacher.

Professional bodies, for better and for worse, influence my educational commitments to my students. Being apart of teacher associations allow for discussion and professional development to occur and as a result, I can incorporate new ideas into my classroom to better serve my students educational needs. On the opposing side, I may feel pressured into teaching from a certain limited resource or perspective. Or I may be risk-averse in certain teaching methods that might be too risky.

I also find that I do not enjoy hearing incidences of professional conduct. I find them intimidating to hear even though I know I’m confident I would never find myself in similar circumstances. I feel that I might be more comfortable not hearing stories where teaches have made infractions and letting my moral compass guide me in my decisions. I feel completely comfortable with my own morals and ethics that I would not have any troubles with professional conduct.

However, I understand that the reports serve as serious reminders to those that need it. Perhaps the presentations and reports from the TRB are driving home the seriousness of the professional conduct I already know, and is subconsciously benefiting me.

Overall, I do not like having standards imposed on me only because it takes away from the standards I set for myself. I think anyone entering the teaching profession should stand on high moral ground on their own and should not have to be pressured to do so.

Teaching standards are the principles in which teachers are encouraged to follow and held accountable. They exist because not all of those that enter the teaching profession of the sense of morals and ethics internalized into their character. Since the teaching profession is responsible for the wellbeing of children, it is important to society that they are well protected. Teaching standards help protect societies youth.

Explicit assumptions:

1. Educators values and care for all students and act in their best interests.
  2. Educators are role models who act ethically and honestly.
  3. Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.
  4. Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families, and communities in schools.
  5. Educators implement effective practices in areas of classroom management, planning, instruction, assessment, evaluation and reporting.
  6. Educators have a broad knowledge base and understand the subject areas they teach.
  7. Educators engage in career-long learning.
  8. Educators contribute to the profession.

I believe the primary use for education standards in BC is for reasoning and discipline for when teachers are guilty of failing to meet the standards. I believe it is imperative that professional standards that teachers hold themselves to must come from within. The best person to hold teachers accountable to their actions and behaviour is teachers themselves. I think a stronger emphasis on reflecting on ones own beliefs and morals is an important practice for teacher candidates and should be continuously be practiced and developed. Just as our explicit standards tell us to be career-long learners and contributors to the profession, developing and sharing personal standards would be beneficial for all teachers.

A list of standards published in a book or on a website are just words, but to see it encompassed in colleagues practice and behaviour transform the words into actions. This may resonate with those who may question or doubt some standards.
I do not have the answers but it is an interesting thought to consider.

I think a classic example of a school scenario that complicate a given standard is the one I illustrated above with teachers being pressured to teach a course outside of subject of expertise. Generally, this falls on new teachers because they have the least amount of seniority and they feel they have little choice but to except. As a new teacher, it is difficult to land a permanent position within a school and most are willing to anything they can to secure a position. School administrators know this. I have heard that from senior teachers to expect it and that it is normal in landing a position. I have always felt uncomfortable about the idea of teaching a subject I know very little about but I understood this as if it was a necessary thing, I would not question it. Even now with knowing the standards, it is a dilemma I would struggle with and would have to think carefully about.

A common phrase educator’s use in terms of professional conduct is “protect yourself.” In this scenario, you want to protect yourself by doing right by the school administrators, but also ding right by your students and performing your job well.

One Response to My Commitment to Professionalism

1. It’s a bit odd for you to write about professionalism, when ‘your’ teaching philosophy is not your original work. For details, see https://www.universityaffairs.ca/opinion/in-my-opinion/is-nothing-sacred-our-personal-teaching-philosophies-have-been-plagiarized/