Diana Nino

Mechanical Engineering 2018
General Mechanical

A little bit about me…
I am from Colombia and like every Colombian I love coffee, and nowadays I’ve really gotten into teas such as earl grey and green tea. It is a good thing I am in a career that requires you to drink a lot of caffeine to be awake, eh? I love dancing, especially salsa. My favourite food is pancakes, I just love them! My favorite activity is sleep, but who doesn’t like that? I am a very determined person, who is always trying to see the positive side of things in life. I like to share my experiences with people, so if you have any questions about what it’s like to be in Mech please feel free to contact me.

I wish I had known before I came…
That there are many resources you can use to help you succeed throughout your degree. The most obvious ones are your profs and TA’s, but you can also meet people in other years who will offer their experience in how to deal with school and stress. Mech professors are very nice and happy to answer your questions. Working hard and keeping communication open will help you succeed.

I chose mechanical engineering because…
When I graduated high school, I realized I wanted to know more about things around me. I was constantly intrigued about how the world works. I started developing an interest for manufacturing processes, cars, and robots. I like that with Mechanical Engineering you can easily understand theory because it can be applied to almost everything in the “real” world!

Mechanical engineering at UBC in one word…  
Dedication

What I like best about my program…
That I can apply what I learn in university to different fields in the industry. There are endless opportunities out there and as a mechanical engineer, you can choose what your passion is and follow it.

Outside the classroom, I am involved with…

• Women in Engineering (Chair for Women in Science and Engineering Mentoring and Networking event)
  • Club Mech (Vice-president)
  • Family time is very important to me and keeps me grounded
  • Working with Mech student services

Favourite moment/memory so far…
One of my Mech 2 teachers once said to me: “One day, when you are older sitting in a chair in front of a fireplace feeling very cozy with a glass of wine in your hand, you will think back to the days when you were in Mech 2 and realize that during that year of your life you learnt so much about yourself, made great friendships, and overall it helped you grow as a person. Experiences like this add value to your life; learn how to appreciate those moments.” – These are words that I will not forget.

Articles

GOODBYE, FAREWELL MECH

What It Has Been Like to Be Involved in Mech and Be The President of Club Mech

Capstone and Its Challenges

End of the year! And hello to the last part of my final year in Mech!

The End to a Crazy Week!

Reading Week is finally here