I’m a creative, nature-loving, designer with a passion for learning and developing new ways to interact with technology. After several years of working in the digital media marketing world, I went back to school to pursue a career change to mixed reality (MR) design. By combining my existing digital media skills – like 3D development, graphic design, and UX/UI with mixed reality, I want to continue to pursue and develop meaningful digital applications for up-and-coming technologies. I am passionate about building MR applications that help people navigate our complicated world, and allow the user to enjoy life to the fullest using fun and intuitive ways to interact with the technology and content. 

I was born and raised in the unique place of Dawson City, Yukon and in my spare time, I like to travel around the Yukon/Alaska wilderness hiking, kayaking, fishing, hunting and camping in the bush. My husband and I love to automate our house using Arduino and Raspberry Pi development hardware. We love to design and build household projects applications using our 3D printer and laser cutter, coming up with creative and unique designs. 

I will be graduating from the University of British Columbia in 2023 with a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Computer Science and a capstone project in the Bachelor of Media Studies program. I am plan to complete my Master’s in immersive technologies through the “CREATE Immersive Technologies” program, at the University of British Columbia. It’s the first program of its kind in the world.

My hometown has inspired me and my projects a great deal. One project that is near and dear to my heart was building an aurora borealis alarm clock that took data from the internet and that wakes you up when the aurora borealis is visible in the sky. The alarm clock LEDs light up brighter and brighter, and music of drumming gets louder when the data shows the aurora borealis is becoming more visible in the night sky. Another project was creating a VR experience hiking and camping under the aurora borealis in the beautiful wilderness of the Tombstone Mountain range. In the future, I would love to build a fully immersive application that places the user in the historical Dawson City gold rush of 1896. It would be rewarding to share through mixed-reality a time-travel experience to highlight  a period of Canadian history. 

Website: www.carlamather.com