Oct 5 / melissabenjamin

Why Commerce?

In Grade 12, it seemed like on an hourly basis, I was being asked about my post secondary plans. “Commerce, eh? What made you decide to go into business?” Apparently some people hold strong preconceived notions about business students. I had been told we are everything from pretentious to snobby to down right greedy. Of course, the core concepts of Business largely revolve around money: the earning of it, the spending of it, the circulation of it- and with that it is not abnormal to subconsciously associate these principles with unethical qualities like selfishness and corruption. Though some enter Sauder looking to snatch a big-shot, high paying job after graduation, I know I am not the only one who is attracted to the overall life skills that Business offers. I believe that business is present everywhere. It’s not only relevant in financial aspects of life such as grocery shopping, buying stocks, or selling a house. Business skills are social skills, interpersonal skills, decision making skills, analytical skills, even self-managing skills. It is much broader than just the academia spectrum. Commerce is, in my opinion, an all encompassing area of study that has countless real life applications. So yes, I am am a proud first year Sauderite. And I hope to USE my education in the real world.