e-portfolio of melissa.lavoie

week 3. open-concept loft vs. regal, sprawling academic institution.

Posted by in weekly readings and responses.

Learning Management Systems: Affordances and Limitations In their examination of the effects of LMS on university’s teaching and learning practices Coates, James & Baldwin (2005) argue that technologies are not pedagogically neutral, but through their very design, they influence and design teaching. Have you been experiencing some of the pedagogically restricting effects of LMS in your own practice? I have used three different LMS’ in my time as an educator: Blackboard Connect, d2L (Brightspace), and more recently Google Classroom (not exactly an LMS yet). The first two, in my opinion,…read more

0

week 2. addie vs. agile: evaluations of the d2L LMS.

Choose an organization, which you are familiar with, and evaluate educational technology using the ADDIE model and the “Agile Design” model outlined by Bates’ (2014): How informative these models are for determining whether your organization implements educational technologies in the most effective way? I chose my organization’s long-standing adoption of the Desire2Learn (Brightspace) platform, as “mandated” by Ontario’s Ministry of Education, in that the Ministry had signed a multiyear contract with Desire2Learn (based in Kitchener, Ontario) to provide an LMS to school boards as part of the provincial e-learning strategy….read more

0

week 1. digital age teaching professionals.

Which of the sets of criteria seem the most informative and relevant to your experiences? The first point in Chickering and Ehrmann’s article resonated with me and my experiences in my new position, and ties into the second point as well.  “Good practice encourages contacts between students and faculty”. The fact that communication technologies allow for an availability and access to your professor is hugely important. My school board has adopted Google Apps for Education (GAFE), and this productivity suite is inherently about sharing, communicating and collaborating. On each app…read more

0