Linking Assignment #4 – Kirsten M.

I am endlessly amazed by the creativity of my peers.  It really is remarkable how a group of adults can all be provided with the same task and the same guiding questions for creating a blog post, and then come up with such different content and reflections.  For “Task 9 – The Network Curation Assignment“,  Kirsten M. was incredibly creative with the reflection on our class’ Golden Record selections.  While I took more of an analytical approach and tried to make sense and understand the relationships in my spreadsheet, Kirsten M. took the creative approach and fabricated a narrative to explain the connections. 

This narrative approach was entertaining, but also educational, as in the second half of the post, she goes on to explain that the intent was to replicate the disinformation that we are continually inundated with online.  This story creatively demonstrated how little we often understand about the algorithms we encounter each day, and how this ignorance makes society susceptible to disinformation.  Online disinformation is a topic that I am incredibly interested as a potential avenue for future research.  Kirsten M.’s approach of deliberately writing disinformation made me have a revelation that beginning in early elementary school, we need to teach students that writing falls into three categories  (not just two) and they are: Fiction, Non-fiction, and Disinformation.

Thank you Kirsten M.for reminding me that it is okay to think outside the box for my tasks and assignments, and that infusing extra creativity can make a task even more impactful!

Link to Kirsten M.’s Blog: https://blogs.ubc.ca/narration4transformation/2021/03/13/task-9-network-assignment/