ETEC 540 Task 8: Golden Record Curation Assignment

In this challenge, we have been tasked with reviewing the 27 tracks included on the Golden Record (sent to space on the Voyager) and curate it down to just 10 tracks.

Given the flexibility to determine the parameters and criteria used to select the 10 tracks, my approach was to “read the same map in a different way” (course notes, module 8.1). I do not feel qualified to speak on behalf of others, or global society as a whole, and identify which 10 are the most representative of Earth. However, as one person living on Earth, and being an expert of myself, I decided to compile the 10 songs that I found to be most meaningful; the songs that managed to evoke a memory, feeling, or aspect that I believe is critical to my experiences of being human. Another way of saying it would be that these tracks relate to my own ‘long-term value’ (Smith Rumsey, 1999) of keeping these memories and feelings close as I continue through my own personal human existence.

1. Wedding Song – Peru: a beautiful, simple piece with a single voice reminded me that one voice can be so impactful given its use and timing.
  2. Ugam – Azerbaijan bagpipes: there is a constant, unwavering undertone that adds stability and depth to the music, grounding the moving notes and exploring various intervals being played in the higher register. To me, this also evokes a sense of sadness but also knowing that the sadness will eventually pass, and I find both beauty and comfort in that.
  3. Mozart – Queen of the Night (from The Magic Flute) – Eda Moser: The first opera my parents took me to was The Magic Flute. From that moment on, I spent my operatic adventures wondering why none of the others could be as engaging as The Magic Flute. To me, this is the most recognizable song from the opera, and I recall playing it over and over again trying to hit the notes just like the singer did on the track (whether it was Eda Moser or another talented singer, I can’t recall). This song now has an added layer of joy as The Magic Flute was the first opera that my parents took my own children to see…and when they get control over our music selection, this is one of their go-tos.
  4. Melancholy Blue – Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven: I used to play in a jazz band in high school and love the Fitzgerald & Armstrong era. Also, thanks to a History of Jazz class I took in undergrad, I know how influential Armstrong’s work was to the jazz and blues scenes.
  5. Johnny B Goode – Chuck Berry: this is just such a happy and upbeat song that I can’t help but want to move, tap my toes (or jump/jive if I’m feeling particularly zesty), and sing along.
  6. Jaat Kahan Ho – India – Surshri: wow, although this was my first time listening to this song specifically, I love the feeling of ‘tension and release’ that this piece evokes with its tones, slides, and creative use of sound vs space.
  7. Iziel je Delvo Hagdutin – Bulgaria: This song reminded me of an album (Bulgarian folk/field singers) that quickly became a favourite in my childhood/adolescence. similar to the Azerbijan bagpipes it has an unwavering anchoring tone, and then those vocals come in and just blast the sound; there is something amazing about the interplay of these tones that is just so powerful, both physically and emotionally.
  8. Dark Was the Night – Blind Willie Johnson: this is a solid blues/gospel-blues track that is in no rush, evidence that it can sometimes take time to convey that kind of emotion through music.
  9. Bach – Brandenburg no.2: there is something about this song that reminds me of the carefree feeling I had as a young child in ballet class!
  10. Cranes in their Nest – Japan: to be honest, this one surprised me, but I appreciated how it made me stop, listen, and pay attention to really hear what was happening. The notes and playing style also made it easy for me to recall what cranes look like, and to imagine them being in their nest.

Brown University. (2017). Abby Smith Rumsey: “Digital Memory: What Can We Afford to Lose?” [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrahqg9ZMc&t=262s