Ultimate recognition: Chucking a Frisbee is becoming a serious sport, and a lucrative business

Leagues such as the NFL or NBA are recognized world-wide and extremely popular amongst sports fanatics, with the professional players earning a considerate living. But according to this article, ultimate frisbee is beginning to find its way into the world stage. Unfortunately, many still do not recognize “ultimate” as an official sport, though it has numerous platforms, such as Major League Ultimate (MLU), World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) and USA Ultimate (USAU). All these organizations have been working to professionalize the sport, as it is equally as intense, competitive and entertaining as football or basketball. Companies such as Five Ultimate have been benefiting from the growth of the sport. With the goal of developing the sport to a sponsorship level for players to earn livings, there is a lot of work that still needs to go into popularizing ultimate frisbee.

Having previously played the sport personally, I feel that it is definitely one that has been looked over by many. Admittedly, before I joined my school team, I had no idea what the game was. That is why marketing the brand is so crucial to meeting the said goal, such as with brand positioning. What is different and exciting about “ultimate” that would attract fans? I also suggest investing in media advertisements and broadcasting games in order to introduce the sport to the world, for I have never seen commercials on TV advertising it. All in all, I believe that with the right marketing strategy and solid business plan, the sport will be able to be part of the big leagues one day.

MLU: Nighthawks Dogfish Highlights

Article: “Ultimate Recognition.” The Economist. N.p., 05 Oct. 2013. Web. 07 Oct. 2013.

Pictures:

“Major League Ultimate – Professional Ultimate Frisbee.” Major League Ultimate – Professional Ultimate Frisbee. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Oct. 2013.

“Ultimate Recognition.” The Economist. N.p., 05 Oct. 2013. Web. 07 Oct. 2013.