Task 12 Speculative Futures

The Continuation of Sam Greenspan’s Podcast 01 Autopilot Off

………. sorry let me translate !!

Hi everyone, it’s about 1 pm and you are in time to join me for a holographic meeting with Kaey.  I believe in the olden days they called it an on-line meeting using Zoom.  Nowadays, we meet in a virtual world using avatars.  It’s just more convenient.  I’ve also translated this conversation into an English text that is easier for you to understand.  Normally we converse with just emojis as they are a universal pictorial language that is easy to understand and require a lot less words.

I’m Mell by the way.  It’s the year 2065, post COVID times.  Ikiris, Kaey, and I all work for the same archeology firm but we are based on different parts of the world.  I’m in Iceland.  We are all working on communication evolution from technology.  Hang on a sec while I put my gear on.  I’m meeting Kaey in Singapore at a coffee shop.

Player One Movie  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/mediaviewer/rm2943833856

Mell: Hey Kaey, how’s it going in Singapore ?

Kaey: It’s great! Really loving the variety of food capsules.  Did you hear anything from Ikiris?

Mell: Yup, she copper wired me yesterday.  She’s living in some short-term cryogenic place in Phoenix with Cass.  The big city she says, but super expensive.  She’s just finishing up an artifact.

Kaey:  I’ve never been to Phoenix but always wanted to go!  We have to definitely set up holographic meet so she can tour us around the city.  I just got a new outfit for my avatar, ultra-sport fiber jump suit.

Player One Movie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/mediaviewer/rm2349815552

Kaey:  Anyways, how’s the emoji project coming along?

Mell: It’s pretty interesting. I read somewhere that hieroglyps was an old visual language and emoji was the new one.  It’s like vinyl records from the 1900-1930s that went out and then came back in the 2020s, but shinier.

Kaey: I was looking at the archives and I think the Oxford Dictionary posted in November 2015 that the “Word of the Year” was the emoji “Face with Tears of Joy.”  Probably shocked the world !

Mell:  Yeah, I think that time period was still figuring things out.  Emoji was still evolving back then, but it really became prevalent in history, socially, and culturally as time went on.  I think we need to do further research into this.

Kaey: Well, back then they were using a few emojis in sentences or phrases to express idea or enhance emotion.

Mell:  From some of the archives, some emojis were in the beginning of the sentence, some in the middle, and others at the end.  Can this have any significance in communication?

Kaey: Does placement of the emoji change the context?

Mell: On a different thought……… are there some emojis that are globally accepted and some culturally specific since they are visuals?

Kaey: Or can the emoji be misinterpreted!

Mell: That’s true like the emoji “Face with Tears of Joy.”

Kaey: Or the emoji “Praying Hands.”  It can literally mean praying or “ thank you” or “please” depending on what your saying. But is this culturally specific?

1) Can you get me a loaf of bread from Safeway on the

2) The fan was such a nice surprise on this hot day. 

3) Today I’m taking my mom to    at Saint Vincent’s.

Mell: Lots of people back then seem to use it in their social media like Twitter, Facebook, texts so there’s a lot of data to look at.

Kaey:  Let’s both sift through the archives around culture and emoji use and meet back here same time next week and compile the information.

Mell: Sound good!

To be continued………………………………………….

References:
Arafah, B., & Hasyim, M. (2019). The Language of Emoji in Social Media. KnE Social Sciences, 494-504.
Freedman, A. (2018). Cultural literacy in the empire of emoji signs: Who is crying with joy?. First Monday.
Gawne, L., & McCulloch, G. (2019). Emoji as digital gestures. language@ internet17(2).
Ge, J., & Herring, S. C. (2018). Communicative functions of emoji sequences on Sina Weibo. First Monday.
Guntuku, S. C., Li, M., Tay, L., & Ungar, L. H. (2019, July). Studying cultural differences in emoji usage across the east and the west. In Proceedings of the International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (Vol. 13, pp. 226-235).
Mathews, S., & Lee, S. E. (2018). Use of emoji as a marketing tool: An exploratory content analysis. Fashion, Industry and Education16(1), 46-55.
Miller, H. J., Thebault-Spieker, J., Chang, S., Johnson, I., Terveen, L., & Hecht, B. (2016, March). “Blissfully Happy” or “Ready toFight”: Varying Interpretations of Emoji. In Tenth international AAAI conference on Web and social media.
Miller Hillberg, H., Levonian, Z., Kluver, D., Terveen, L., & Hecht, B. (2018). What I See is What You Don’t Get: The Effects of (Not) Seeing Emoji Rendering Differences across Platforms. Proceedings of the ACM on Human-Computer Interaction2(CSCW), 1-24.
Moschini, I. (2016). The” Face with Tears of Joy” Emoji. A Socio-Semiotic and Multimodal Insight into a Japan-America Mash-Up. HERMES-Journal of Language and Communication in Business, (55), 11-25.
Vidal, L., Ares, G., & Jaeger, S. R. (2016). Use of emoticon and emoji in tweets for food-related emotional expression. Food Quality and Preference49, 119-128.