[3.2] The Written Oral Styles of Robinson and King

Thomas King’s novel Green Grass Running Water takes after Harry Robinson’s oral style in “Coyote Make a Deal with the King of England” in a number of interesting ways. The most obvious is the oral nature of both texts, even though King’s text is not actually spoken. This style is characterized by short sentences, many ‘and’s at the beginnings of sentences, and colloquial utterances like ‘okay’ and ‘you know’ scattered throughout the stories. This style is also punctuated by normal human errors or slips in storytelling such as forgetting details or needing to start over. Beyond these more obvious stylistic similarities, I’d like to focus on the fluid timeframe, the role of the listener and the storyteller, and characterizations of Coyote and God. 

Time
In Wendy Wickwire’s introduction to Harry Robinson’s Living by Stories she describes her journey exploring the timeframe of Indigenous stories. Robinson’s stories take place across a vast timeline from stories at the beginning of time that appear ahistorical and timeless, to contemporary stories with specifically historical details. Robinson’s stories also put Western conceptualizations of linear time into question. His stories are not told chronological order from the beginning of time to present day. They are told however he feels they need to be told. Contemporary details are also added to older more mythological stories like Wickwire’s example of Robinson learning about the moon landing and then adding Neil Armstrong into his story about Coyote son’s journey to the “upper world” (Robinson 29). 

Like Robinson, King’s novel Green Grass, Running Water exists in a fluid and changing time zone. One moment Coyote and God and First Woman are creating the world through a story that is both Indigenous and biblical, the next moment professor Alberta Frank is discussing Indigenous history in a lecture hall filled with embodiments of historical figures, and the next moment a gathering of iconic literary characters work to figure out how to tell the story of creation. What strikes me in this novel is the true fluidity of these settings. These stories are not distinguished by different chapters or even different paragraphs. They morph into one another seamlessly and overlap. If you lose focus for a moment while reading you’ve entered another story. At pages 49 – 50  fo Green Grass, Running Water we see a great example of this overlap:

“Where did the water come from?” said Alberta.
“Where did the water come from?” said Patrolman Delano.
“Where did the water come from? “ said Sergeant Cereno.
“Where did the water come from?” said Lionel.
“Forget the water,” says Coyote.

Alberta is referencing the pickup truck in water in a memory of her father. Patrolman Delano is asking about the water in Babo’s retelling of the story of creation. Sergeant Cereno is referencing water in a creation story retold by Dr. Hovaugh, and Lionel is referencing a puddle of water he’s stepped into while picking up hitchhikers. In this moment they come together across story lines to ask the same question and we see how they are, perhaps, not separate stories at all. Blanca Chester writes that in King’s work “fragmented texts contextualize each other, creating meaning in gaps that cannot be read linearly” (47). Like Robinson’s cyclical and tangential orality these stories become part of a whole understanding, as opposed to individual stand-alone pieces. 

Listener and Storyteller

Both Robinson and King create a relationship between storyteller and listener (reader). Both texts have first person narrators  who sometimes speak to the audience referring to the reader or listener as “you.” Through this exchange, the reader is brought into the world of the story and, as Chester writes, “ultimately transformed into another character”(46). 

This voice of the narrator not only highlights the role of the listener as part of the story but brings the storyteller in the story. Robinson and King as storytellers are present within their works. Robinson’s unique voice demonstrates this well enough, but another example is when he is unsure of specific details within his story:

“Then, they have this book four of them.
That’s about, could be somewhere 1850.
Somewhere around that time.
I couldn’t be sure.
I like to find that out some of these days” (79).

Compare this with the following excerpt from King:

“So that’s the way the story starts,” I says. “That’s the way it is beginning.”
No, no, says that GOD. That’s not the way it starts at all. It starts with a void. It starts with a garden.
“Stick around,” I says. “That garden will be here soon.”
Hallelujah, says that GOD.
“Is Old Coyote going to make that good garden?” says Coyote.
“Not likely,” I says. “Can we continue?” (22).

Both narrators are working to express their stories clearly, grappling with memory and details, and letting us into the process of storytelling with them.

It is interesting to compare this present storyteller and included listener with Western history books that seem to have no storyteller and exist regardless of reader. These stories of history are treated as undeniable facts with no teller present, existing outside the possibility of human expression, forgetfulness, tangents or intention. 

Coyote and God

The characters of Coyote and God in the stories of King and Robinson are depicted somewhat differently, but it is the relationship between these two characters that is most interesting. In “Coyote makes a Deal with the King of England” Coyote is quite responsible and dutiful. He is given a task to complete from an angel of God and he goes to complete it right away without any hesitation. While meeting with the King of England he is clear and powerful, creating a threatening illusion with powers given by God. King’s version of coyote is a stark contrast: excitable, self-focused, and foolish. Coyote is often distracted and easily set off course by any mention of food. Robinson’s God is an unseen character within this story. Represented by an angel, God orders Coyote to do a job and bestows on him some powers to help him complete the task. King’s GOD is territorial, demanding and petulant, arguing about the way the story is being created. 

In Robinson’s story God and Coyote are written as separate characters but Robinson expresses a number of times that the words Coyote speaks are God’s thoughts. He reminds us of this multiple times, drawing a link between Coyote and God, perhaps not as separated characters as we had thought. King takes this a step further. GOD in King’s story is a version of Coyote, Coyote’s dream, who comes alive and wants to control the world. Coyote says that this dream cannot also be called Coyote but it could be a dog. But the dream becomes mixed up and instead becomes a god. Then, in a show of particular childishness:

But why am I a little god? shouts that god.
“Not so loud,” says Coyote. “You’re hurting my ears.”
I don’t want to be a little god, says that god. I want to be a big god!
“What a noise,” says Coyote. “This dog has no manners.”
Big one!
“Okay, okay,” says Coyote. “Just stop shouting.”
There, says that GOD. That’s better.

In Teresa Gilbert’s article entitled “Written Orality in Thomas King’s Short Fiction” King is quoted saying, “In reading Robinson, one is virtually forced to read the story out loud, thereby closing the circle, the oral becoming the written becoming the oral.” All three of the comparisons I made between the texts of Robinson and King point toward this cyclical nature. Time moves away from linear chronology toward a fluid setting that loops and cycles. Listener and storyteller emerge and converge as King described so aptly. And the characters of Coyote and God vary and overlap, Coyote speaking God’s thoughts and GOD born of Coyote’s dreams. 

——————————————————————————————————————

Robinson, Harry. Living by Stories: A Journey of Landscape and Memory. Compiled and edited by Wendy Wickwire. Vancouver,  Talon Books, 2005.

King, Thomas. Green Grass, Running Water. Toronto, Harper Collins, 1993.

Chester, Blanca. “Green Grass, Running Water: Theorizing the World of the Novel.” Canadian Literature, 161-162, Summer/Autumn, 1999, 44-61. https://canlit.ca/article/green-grass-running-water/. Accessed March 12, 2021.

Gilbert, Teresa. “Written orality in Thomas King’s short fiction.” Journal of the Short Story in English, 47, Autumn, 2006. https://journals.openedition.org/jsse/792#quotation. Accessed March 12, 2021.

8 Thoughts.

1. Hi Laura,

Thanks for responding to my email! I noticed that no one was able to see that we were working together, so I thought I would post some thoughts here to be more in line with the instructions (oops). I look forward to working with you and Magda on our project!

I really liked the way that you have approached many of the ideas in our discussions. You respond to things in a very poetic style that I really appreciate. Also, with our shared backgrounds in education, I feel like you and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of topics related to community, colonialism, and the world.

As for my working style, I’ll be honest, I am a bit of a procrastinator — at least if given the option between that and ‘organizer.’ But I am also very accommodating of other people’s needs and restraints, so this has never been an issue with group projects before. Just letting you know where my baseline is. If there are any issues with this, I am very open to feedback.
    I am a very good editor, and though I haven’t been using many visuals in my blog posts, I have a decent eye for visual formatting. I am also great with technology.

As for my schedule, at the moment I am on Spring Break from work (I assume you are too?), and will be working to get ahead over the next few weeks, but come April I will be working during weekdays with some availability in the evenings. At that time, weekends will probably be best to coordinate with each other.

I hope this is all still in line with your expectations, but if there are any deal-breakers in here feel free to let me know — I will understand 😉

How about you? What are your work-habits like? Are you working full time in the district?

• Hi Zac (and Laura and Magda)
      I have enjoyed reading all of your blogs over the past few weeks, and enjoy the new perspectives I have been gaining.
      I was wondering if you have a fourth partner as of yet? I am currently working as a TTOC, and thought it would be wonderful working with other K-12 educators. I was also looking to get as much completed over the Spring Break (my break does not begin until the 20th).
      Either way (if you have a space, or have a full group) let me know!
      I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

• Hi Samantha,

Yes – I just need to check with Zac and Magda to make sure we haven’t overlapped and added 5 people to our group, but I think this would be great.

Like I said to Zac, I think our shared thoughts and values around education will provide us with some interesting conversations and similar schedules.

I’ll confirm as soon as I hear from Magda and Zac.

Thanks!

• Hi Zac,
      Thanks for this post. Looking forward to working with you also! I agree that we seem to have sparked a few interesting conversations and a shared background in education is sure to continue that connection.
      I would say I’m an organizer, but an organizer with a full-time job in a pandemic. So an organizer who has some procrastination tendencies. But this procrastination usually affects me more than any one else. I like organizing groups of people and wouldn’t let my own habits affect our group work.

I think our work habits will line up in terms of scheduling as well. I’m more free on the weekends and am keen to get some work done over spring break.

Thanks Zac!

2. Hi Laura,
    Sounds great! I have just reached out to Magda myself on her most recent blog, so I hope one of us is able to hear back soon!
    I agree with you in the converstation/schedules. I am not on Spring break until next week (I am with SD43), but will have some time this week due to my current position. I was really interested in the Place-Based education connections you made within your introduction post, and hope this works out for collaboration!
    I hope your first few days of break (if you are not with one of the few who have this delayed break) are restful!

• Hi Laura,
      Excellent! I’ll tell you a little more about my work habits:
      – I like to be thorough, and I often will review/revise my work three to four times before posting. I usually have a decent response/write up; my last few posts have been sub-par in what I usually do, due to multiple transitions in my work (last week I finished a temp. contract I was in since October) and the burnout that has been building up since mid-January.
      – I also typically am a good organizer; I’m not so great with technology/the weebly site.
      – As mentioned, I plan (hope) to get most of my part of the project completed during
      the Spring break, and will be available each weekend after then as well to assist in any other parts of the project. My Spring break begins next week, but this week I am available evenings.

I was also wondering how you, Zac, and Magda have been connecting thus far? I do have facebook if that has been the preferred (I have not logged on to the platform – only have been using messenger – for many months, and so have not joined the class group, but I can make that my goal for tomorrow).

I look forward to working together!

3. Hi Laura.
    Sorry to piggyback on your group-building discussion! I was just going to thank you for an interesting post. I enjoyed the way you teased out some of those really fascinating and effective (temp)oral effects of Thomas King’s story. I sometimes wonder if the kind of emphasis we’ve seen King make on “orality” might work at times to affirm dichotomies like the “oral”/”written.” We read early on, after all, about how the idea of “oral” and “literate” societies or cultures (like “linear” vs “cyclic” societies) is probably a myth, since both invariably co-exist in any given society. These terms may have analytical value (indeed they do, as you have well shown!), but probably not in equating “Indigenous” with “oral” and so suggesting that writing in an “oral” way amounts to a subversion of Western hegemony. After all, various inscriptions of “oral utterance” are pervasive in Western canonical literature.
    This isn’t to disagree with any of your astute observations! (I may be wrong, in any case!) I just find, especially after reading your post, that King’s novel is such a fruitful catalyst for discussing these issues of orality and literacy and what they really mean to us . . .