Task 5: Twine Task

I hope you enjoy my first attempt at Twine in my storyThe Classroom Mystery ( To open, copy link address into a new browser tab to force a download of the zip file).

After reviewing the interactive Twine game, The Temple of No I felt excited to begin creating my own story in Twine. The idea of hypertext isn’t new to me because I have used it to embed links within documents, emails, and interactive slides for students. However, when beginning my journey with Twine, I didn’t fully realize that I would be starting from scratch versus a document where I click the ‘link’ button and my connections are made. 

Bolter mentions that when we use hyperlinks, we can think of the links as “a path through a virtual space and the reader becomes a visitor or traveler in that space” (p. 29). My story was inspired by my love for escape rooms and choose your own adventure stories I read as a kid. What I love about both of these experiences is that your path relies on the decisions you make. In using Twine, I wanted to draw on these experiences for my user to fully emerge in the process of choice. I also related to how Douglas’ (1963) discussion of how a designer would have to “learn how to view, to measure, to analyze, and to evaluate in terms of the functional whole and its purpose” (Section B). To create a compelling hypertext story in Twine, I needed to understand what combination of symbols and text were required to be put together for the result to be visually appealing. 

Once I understood the process, it was time to create a storyboard to plan my hypertext routes. I started this in Twine but then got stuck and did not have consistency between panels. So I switched my planning phase to pencil and paper, which worked well. I was able to see all at one time the road map of where I wanted to go. Once back in Twine, the story flowed together much better, and I found adding things in much easier because it still followed my general plan. Like planning a teaching unit, I quickly learned that having the end in mind was key to my success. Another aspect I thought necessary in my story was the use of visuals. Although tedious, I figured out how to embed images and gif’s into my story, and I think this enhanced the overall feel of the adventure. 

If I were to use Twine again to create a story, I would want to learn more about how to add sound clips to enhance the story further. That being said, I did enjoy using Twine and I definitely see the potential for how this could be used with students in a classroom. 

Bolter, J.D. (2001). Writing Space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print. Mahway, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp. 27-46.

Englebart, Douglas. (1963). “A conceptual framework for the augmentation of man’s intellect. ” In Hawerton, P.W. and Weeks, D.C. (Eds.), Vistas in information handling, Volume I: The augmentation of man’s intellect by machine. Washington, DC: Spartan Books. Available (as “Augmentation of human intellect: A conceptual framework”)

This entry was posted in Task 5: Twine Task. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Task 5: Twine Task

1. Sam Charles (He/Him/His) says:

Hi Trista,

I wasn’t able to open your Twine, but I did enjoy reading about your approach to this task. We shared a number of similarities in our approaches. Your response made me reflect on how the medium (in this case Twine) influences our creative process by limiting the flow of ideas similar to how Douglas (1963) described the design process. While some writers and designers can think on multiple levels simultaneously, I get the sense that most of us are more linear in our approach and need to parse it into sections based on context.

• trista svennes says:

Hi Sam!
      Oh really? I found this a bit tricky too, but right-clicking to open in a new tab should force the file to download. Great connection, Sam!