For this linking task I chose Jacey’s reflections on Potato printing.

https://blogs.ubc.ca/jaceysmetcollection/2022/07/05/task-4-potato-printing/?unapproved=3&moderation-hash=a1925e338593dfeae0e833f9f510d19c#comment-3

Hi Jacey, I sympathize with your challenges in potato printing. I too found that I couldn’t get it quite right with the amount of paint. To begin, I started of carving the letters wrong, and then was thwarted again with he style of letters and some letters were hard to apply even pressure too. It has made me appreciate the advancement of text technologies. My daughter recently was asking about calligraphy and I had flashbacks when we would visit a heritage school where we got to experience writing with an ink bottle. It was a disaster. Most schools have moved away from teaching cursive. Do we have a need to write in cursive anymore? Even signatures can be digital and there is nothing to say that it has to all be joined letters.

Bolter (2001, pg.3) believes that electronic technology provides a range of new possi­bilities, whereas the possibilities of print seem to have been played out. do you think that is the case? I know that I find typing so much faster to get information down, so if its purely for speed, then yes I would imagine that the physical writing on a page may gradually fade away. Even simple notes we would write to ourselves can me dictated into our phone to remind us of all the day to day tasks to accomplish. Reading text though can be equally enjoyable in print and on a device. I cannot say for myself that I would choose one or the other, but the advantages when reading for note taking verses reading for enmojoment then technology wins every time.

I am not a gardener so I appreciate your pictorial connections to the colour and word choice in the task.

Bolter, Jay David. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print [2nd edition]. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.