UBC Blogs

Task 6 – Emoji Story

Reflection :

I followed the instructions to not write anything orthographically. I relied on symbols that I thought would be universally known. I have a main image that reoccurs, which allows for my movie to be recognized right away as long as you have watched tv or scrolled the internet the last few weeks. It is a movie that has been just released, so it is likely to be at the forefront of peoples’ minds even if they are not interested in watching the movie. The podcast (McRaney and McCulloch) from last week’s references had Gretchen McCulloch discuss the origin of the emojis and I thought her point about the emoji adding tone of voice to text speak was accurate. I know personally that I add them in to make sure people understand when I am being silly. It is a way to make sure that we do not insult or imply unfriendly tones to our text dialogue. McCulloch also references talking to the head of UNICODE at the time and specifically how their choice of characters always remain within a G rating. Those images that can universally set the tone for the words typed. For the most part, you can find an image you need; they cover the range of emotions and thoughts that we have on average. When it came to the specific plot of my movie it was a bit trickier. There were ideas I wanted to convey such as ‘bad guy” or criminal. The closest they had was a person in a mask, which could actually translate to super hero. I didn’t want the image choice to be ambiguous. What I take from this exercise is that an image cannot necessarily covey everything you need it to. Words have a specificity that really aids in communication, and when you are limited to a specific set of images, you can have unintended misunderstandings.

McRaney, David and McCulloch, Gretchen. (Host & Guest). (2012–present). Because Internet [Audio podcast]. You are Not so Smart. https://omny.fm/shows/you-are-not-so-smart/194-because-internet

« »