ETEC 565 Reflections

Assignment #1 Reflections:

This assignment was a valuable introduction to the organization, functionality, and implications of using the Learning Management System-Moodle in the classroom. Our intent was to suggest a blended online program that will allow the industry connection programs at Burnaby School District (BSD) to use an LMS to support and enhance student learning, student experience and organizational efficiency. Kevin pitched the idea, as he saw the need to implement a blended online program that will facilitate the nine physical locations of the industry connection programs. By implementing the Moodle model to these programs will allow for the amalgamation for flexible, engaging and community-based learning.

I found the research on the functionality and implications on learning and teaching of Moodle to be highly interesting. For our particular organization, participants would find Moodle would be “user-friendly” and learning would be enhanced by the extendibility features with third party systems and plug-ins. Furthermore, I learned that the open source, like Moodle, could be a cost-effective solution for some school districts. This could be one of the reasons my own school division advocates Moodle to support teachers and students.

Overall, I found this group was committed to this assignment and determined to achieve a successful mark. Firstly, we communicated through Google Hangouts and Google Docs to collaboratively discuss the topic and assigned components of the assignment. Secondly, I was thoroughly impressed with Michael’s planning document that outlined each person’s contact information with times they were available, assigned tasks and document any future meeting times. I will definitely use that tracking document when involved in other MET group assignments. Lastly, through the weeks leading up to the due date, most members were forthcoming with their commitments and contributions to the assignment.

Assignment #2 Reflections:

I have decided to use the open-source learning platform, Moodle, as it is a useful tool for teachers who are interested in integrating web-based learning into their existing curriculum. I chose this topic of persuasive writing, as it has been an engaging topic for students, the connection it has on curricular learner outcomes and the familiarity I have teaching this concept.

I’m new to Moodle, but I’m excited to use it to make an introduction module for my persuasive writing course. Initially, most of the time was learning the functionality and the overall designing features of Moodle. Since this is the first time I have worked with Moodle, I have needed to spend significant time blending this face-to-face unit with asynchronous learning, where students are able to read, reflect, and write collaboratively with the online learning environment.

As I am starting my course design and the process to make learning engaging through the implementation of e-learning, I found myself reflecting Chickering’s (1996) article and recognizing the importance of appropriately implementing computer, video and multimedia to advance the Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education. A couple of principles were of importance when creating my own online course. First, “good practice uses active learning techniques”, in my course it is imperative students develop an insight what persuasive writing means and exploring the relationship of self, culture and others to communicate one’s’ thoughts and opinions. I believe personal journal entries will give students opportunities to talk about what they are learning and how persuasion affects their daily lives.  Secondly, Chickering (1996) argues that technology emphasizes time on task and can increase focus by making studying more efficient. By creating engaging activities, quizzes and performance based tasks students should use their time more efficiently and Moodle can document student time on task, and the completion of assignments or feedback entries.  Finally, Chickering (1996) suggests that “technology is not enough”, particularly with my course the performance-based task students will experience a deeper understanding what it means to persuade others thoughts and opinions.

I am looking forward to developing the modules and learning how to embed my face-to-face unit with more technology and online learning for the students.

Chickering, A. W., & Ehrmann, S. C. (1996). Implementing the seven principles: Technology as level, American Association for Higher Education Bulletin, 49(2), 3-6

Assignment #3 Reflections:

For Assignment #3 the expectation is to design and write a project document on a content module for Persuasive Writing Moodle prototype. This 2.0 module of Persuasive Writing Techniques was based on the methodological approaches of Constructivist theory and Social Cognitive Theory. It also applies Bates’ (2014) SECTIONS framework to decision making for online learning design. This course is blended with the face-to-face Daily 5 framework where a student receives explicit lessons on a persuasive writing, then is required to do further learning on the Moodle course to deepen their understanding of the concept. Moreover, this allows the learner to work independently develop self-efficacy.

Writing the learning objectives of module came with ease, as I have taught this content many times plus I structurally put the components into in visually appealing diagram. Since the users of the course are between the ages of 7-11, I need to be cognizant of the limited navigation experience of this age group. Therefore, I made a decision to include all working documents, activities and assessments to be contained within Moodle and not include additional attachments or standalone applications.

In designing this content module with Moodle- Learning Management System (LMS) brought both assets and limitations to course development. One of the assets of Moodle is that students are expected to take an active role in their learning. They are able to track progress, see missing assignments, and review past work. Student engagement is enhanced when students must navigate their way through lessons, quizzes and assignments. Linking and embedding multimedia in Moodle is a straightforward process. On the other hand, UBC Moodle has limiting aesthetic designing element, as font size and colour and difficulty of inputting navigation icons, which could have an impact on this age group to have an optimal learning experience. Overall, I found the assets of designing this Moodle content module outweigh the limitations. The project documentation allowed me to summarize and give justification for designing elements, communication/feedback tools, assessments/activities and recognition of license type.

In conclusion, it was beneficial to have peer feedback from Shannon and Kevin. Both provided truthful feedback on designing improvements, furthermore they highlighted the need to link the learning objectives with the constructivist approach. I was very appreciative for their time and ideas for enhancements on my content module.