Enhanced Learning Experiment (TELE): Chemland

I found the teacher quote in Khan, S. (2007)  Model-based inquiries in chemistry article resonated with me.

I want [students] to learn chemistry, [but] I don’t want them to just understand the concepts–I want them to understand where to get the concepts and where they come from” (p. 881).

This teacher is facilitating metacognition through inquiry, this allows for students mental models to be enriched and revised. Khan argues the aim of model-based teaching is to develop teaching strategies that foster learning environments that build, extend, elaborate and improve mental models of the way of the world works. Model-based inquiry lesson, as seen below, facilitates the critical evaluation, but lends to opportunities where students challenge misconceptions.

Image source

One of my favourite units to teach is Grade 2 Magnets and other magnets because most students have some prior knowledge how a magnet works and the authentic learning that takes place with hands-on learning.  

Describe the interaction of magnets with other magnets and with common materials.

Students will:

• Determine which materials are attracted to a bar magnet.
  • Define the term “ferromagnetic.”
  • Observe the interaction of bar magnets.
  • Determine that like poles repel and opposite poles attract.
  • Understand that magnets exert force at a distance.
  • Observe magnetic field lines for attracting and repelling magnets.
  • Use magnetic field lines to predict if an object will be attracted to a magnet or repel

My School Division has access to Gizmos that are interactive online simulations for math and science education in grades 3 – 12, through our Moodle Portal. Through the simulations,  students will drag bar magnets and a variety of other objects onto a piece of paper. Clicking play will release the objects to see if they are attracted together, repelled apart, or unaffected. Students will be able to sprinkle iron filings over the magnets and other objects to view the magnetic field lines that are produced.

Khan, S. (2007). Model-based inquiries in chemistry. Science Education, 91(6), 877-905.