One Of These Generations Is Not Like The Other

I recently discovered that my 17 year old cousin does not use Facebook! Little did I know that she has nearly cut out Twitter and Facebook from her social routine completely. Although just 4 years apart, I realized my habits across different social media platforms were completely different from hers. I use Facebook to talk to friends and post photos while Instagram is more of an artistic expression. For my cousin, Facebook is gone and Instagram is where she goes to keep up with friends lives, post everyday photos, and follow trends.

If my younger cousin has such different habits why don’t we see an emphasis in class on this platform? Don’t believe that there is a difference, well Jack Daniel’s sees some value in using Instagram to reach younger users.

source: socialfulcrum.com

Old School Brand, New School Technique 

Jack Daniel’s is rolling out a new marketing campaign celebrating Frank Sinatra’s 100th birthday which is highlighted by a video challenge for Instagram. The brand recognizes that Instagram is a growing platform for youth and a breeding ground for user generated content. As mentioned in an article by Adweek, the JD toast contest will be advertised primarily through Instagram.

Although my 17 year old cousin is certainly not the target market, it goes to show there is growing value in Instagram to reach a younger demographic. The platform continues to release ad tools to brands with the likes of sponsored ads and Carousel being released through the past years. As a subsidy of Facebook, I expect to see Instagram receive an array of targeting features to help advertisers reach their target audience.

source: www.pinterest.com/pin/405675878905760777/

Unlike Facebook ads, I have not received any exposure to Instagram advertising. I believe there is great benefit to learning not only how to effectively manage Instagram with basic tools, but also how to advertise using the platform. I’m sure there is a possibility to target users based on what they like, hashtags, location, and followings. Yet, I don’t believe Instagram will ever be as effective as Facebook ads overall, but may be effective in reaching younger generations.