Best Works

It's Not So Bad: Chunking Writing Assignments to Improve Managability – Learning Better at Laurier Brantford

The ENGL 301 Technical Writing course featured many interesting yet challenging projects.  It is through these key projects that my technical writing skills improved most significantly, and they display my best work in the course.  I would like to thank all of the members in my professional writing group, Pencil Pack, for their help in reviewing these assignments, which have been revised accordingly.  It is largely due to their constructive criticism that my work this polished.  Please find my assignments in chronological order below.

Definitions Assignment

Words With Difficult-to-Remember Meanings | Mental Floss

This assignment assisted in my understanding of three different technical definition methodologies: parenthetical, sentence, and expanded, which are most easily understood through the assignment.  I used a prominent organophosphate (drug) from my pharmacology studies, parathion, as the definition of choice.  The conciseness and clarity in which I communicated information on the complex topic is why I believed this assignment to be one of my best works.

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Parathion Definition

Peer Review of the Definitions Assignment

As the first peer review of the course, the peer review of the definitions assignment taught me how to critically evaluate my peer’s work and communicate potential improvements both constructively and effectively.  In reviewing my peer’s work, I was able to find unique and insightful ideas which I could incorporate into my own work.  I included it as it is both a thorough review, and contrasts well with later peer reviews below, where “You Attitude” is used more effectively.

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Peer Review Sovereignty Definition

Formal Report Proposal and Progress Report With Surveys; Final Formal Report 

The formal report was a challenging assignment where we were tasked with suggesting changes to improve a project in an aspect of our lives.  I chose a campus-wide hand hygiene project at the British Columbia Children’s and Women’s Hospital.  I found it especially difficult to transition from the proposal to the progress report and finally the final draft while maintaining the same initial idea.  However, the overall success that I experienced in the formal report writing process post-draft prompted me to include every step until completion.  I also provided the formal report to show how the initial plans changed once data was collected, drawing support from my laboratory-based courses, which helped with data analysis and visualization.

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Revised Report Proposal

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Progress Report

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Interviews and Survey Questions

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Formal Report

Complaint and Response Letter

The complaint and response letter provided both improvement in business letter writing skills and exposure to the “You Attitude” style of writing.  It diminishes the use of imperatives and negative tone, favouring the reader and their interests above all else.  I chose to complain about being the victim of bike theft and a relatively polite, yet apathetic response from Student Housing.  I believe my engaging yet format-compliant letters are a model of my best work, demonstrating my technical writing ability in a unique format.

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Complaint and Response Letter

Peer Review of an Application Package

Every Feature Project: Application Packaging Features - AppDetails

The application package involved displaying skills and qualifications to an international volunteer position, employer, or graduate school of interest.  In this case, I peer-reviewed my professional writing partner, Claire Eccles’ application package, an international volunteer application to a position teaching and leading youth sports programs in South Africa.  From my first peer review, it is evident that I improved my peer-reviewing methodology, and thus I included the peer review to show how my feedback process changed showcase my improved communication skills.

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Peer Review of an Application Package

Peer Review of a Formal Report

This peer review of my professional writing partner Hilton Ma’s Formal Report was probably the most extensive peer review I performed this semester.  This was due to the length and depth required in a Formal Report, to which the peer review should respond accordingly.  Hilton Ma’s  formal report detailed the implementation of 3D anatomy software to supplement anatomy-based courses and featured clear initial ideas and a practical proposal.  My extensive review promotes the attention to detail that I believe to be one of my strongest skills.

Quentin Michalchuk ENGL 301 Peer Review of a Formal Report

PowerPoint Formal Report Template