A Gourmet Vancouver Based Peanut Butter Company

Last weekend, I was walking in Urban Fare, and ended up in the peanut butter aisle. I love peanut butter, so it was inevitable I would end up there. Walking down the aisle, I was expecting to see Kraft, a very dominant brand in the food industry. However, the first brand that caught my eye was Monkey Butter. I have never heard of the brand before but I was intrigued by it. One successful marketing strategy, I thought to myself, was where the company positioned the product itself on the shelves of Urban Fare. The reason why it was the first product to catch my eye was because the product was directly at eye level. This grabbed my attention compared to the other brands I didn’t even notice on the lower shelves.

Following up on my curiosity, I found out that this brand is, in fact, a Vancouver based company. Monkey Butter brands itself on the fact that their peanut butter is made in small batches and with only natural ingredients. Not only this, but they state that their peanut butter is suitable for vegetarians as well. These two points of differentiation successfully allows them to position themselves apart from Kraft peanut butter, which is more mass-produced. Consumers can think of Monkey Butter as a healthier substitute to Kraft peanut butter. Because health is currently a big social trend, Monkey Butter has captured a growing need for healthy food products, giving them a good sustainable competitive advantage.

By having appealing packaging with cute designs and colours, Monkey Butter has been able to attract consumers to a seemingly basic food product. This definitely changes the way consumers are used to seeing peanut butter.

This Rise of Mass Production from an Increase in Rivalry?

Sher-Wood Hockey Inc. has decided to move it’s production oversees to China in order to remain competitive against its rival brands. After having been producing hockey sticks in Quebec for over 60 years, this transition was a major decision decided by the company. Because most other hockey stick manufacturers are outsourcing in areas such as China, production cost was lower for other companies than was for Sher-wood, giving other companies a competitive advantage.

Because of the increasing facilitation in the transportation of goods around the world through globalization, many companies are faced with more international rivals. As a result, there is a constant increase in pressure for companies to sell to its target market before any other company. This has led to an increase in mass production as globalization also led to an increase in the size of the target market. Artisan crafted objects are now being replaced with mass produced objects.

Rather than having wood crafted hockey sticks from the wood in the Carolinian forests, Sher-wood is moving it’s production plant to China in order to keep up with other companies as they are strategically finding better ways to improve their demand.

Marotte, Bertrand. “Sher-Wood Follows Rivals to China, Closes Quebec Hockey Stick Plant.” The Globe and Mail: B.1. Apr 08 2011.Canadian Newsstand Complete. Web. 8 Oct. 2012 .