Reflections on food security

Hi again,

Wow, first term sure flew by! I really enjoyed what I studied this term, and even though I’m glad to have finished with exams, I’m a bit sad that my classes are over. I took a diverse blend of courses this term, ranging from food and resource economics, to soil and environmental sciences, to land and food systems.  I was surprised to find that there was quite a bit of overlap in the material covered across my courses, with several key topics emerging again and again. Food security was one such recurring theme. Although it was covered extensively across my course load, each course approached food security from a different perspective and offered unique insights. I feel that approaching food security in such an interdisciplinary way allowed me to develop a more holistic understanding of the issue, as I was challenged to explore it in many different ways.

Looking back on what I’ve learned this term, I realize that my understanding of what food security means has gained depth and breadth. However, global food security is a highly complex issue, and the more I learn about it, the less confident I am in any one approach to resolving it. I had the privilege of attending the Global Youth Agricultural Summit in Calgary this summer, during which young leaders from around the world convened to discuss how to feed a growing and “hungry” world. As part of the application process, each candidate was asked to discuss the issue of food security locally and around the globe, and suggest solutions.

I recently revisited my application essay, and took the opportunity to compare my perspectives on food security then and now. I realize that although I feel the same about some fundamental principles, my opinion regarding several issues has shifted. Looking back, I see that I had a somewhat superficial understanding of the causes of food insecurity; I now understand that the root causes of hunger stem from exclusive political and institutional systems, which operate in favor of an upper class elite.  Of course, this is a vast oversimplification of the root cause of food insecurity, however I do believe that weak governance and institutions are formidable barriers to the realization of food security around the globe.

I’ve posted my original essay below, as a sort of baseline for my understanding of and perspective on food security. It will be interesting to see how my opinions continue to change as I learn more, and as global conditions continue to evolve and flux.

Presenting at the Youth-Ag Summit

Sustainable Solutions to Feeding a Growing World

My name is Mikaela Hudson, and I am currently studying Food, Nutrition, and Health in the Faculty of Land and Food Systems at the University of British Columbia. I’ve lived in Vancouver, British Columbia for my entire life, and have witnessed first hand the effects of food insecurity on my community. From my perspective, unequal food distribution and limited food availability are the main causes of food insecurity and under-nutrition, both locally and globally. I believe that the development and institution of sustainable agriculture practices on a global scale will ensure food security in the present and for future generations.

I’ve lived in Vancouver, British Columbia for my entire life, and have witnessed first hand the effects of food insecurity on my community. From my perspective, unequal food distribution and limited food availability are the main causes of food insecurity and under-nutrition, both locally and globally. I believe that the development and institution of sustainable agriculture practices on a global scale will ensure food security in the present and for future generations.

From my point of reference, poverty is the leading cause of food insecurity in my community. Almost 10% of British Columbians are food insecure, meaning that they lack access to appropriate quantities of acceptable, nutritious food. Although there is no shortage of food for those who can afford it, people living near or below the poverty line often struggle to keep up with the high cost of living and rising food prices. In my opinion, food security can be obtained through developing sustainable food systems. Localization of the food supply, maximizing the efficiency of land use, reducing food waste, and increasing individuals’ involvement in the food supply chain are all components of the development of sustainable food systems.  I believe that the implementation of these strategies is the key to the establishment and maintenance of food security in my community.

The broader effect of food insecurity can be seen globally: one sixth of the world’s population is undernourished, and one out of every five people in the developing world is chronically undernourished. However, food availability data indicates that over 3600 calories are available per person per day, and that there is more food available globally than ever in history. As such, the main cause of under-nutrition is not an insufficient quantity of food produced, but the unequal distribution and limited availability of food internationally.

Although international food-aid is a valuable tool in handling food emergencies, it is neither a stand-alone nor a long-term solution to the global food security crisis. Lasting, sustainable solutions are needed in order to ensure the health of all individuals and communities. Sustainable agricultural practices will enable communities to use the available land to grow adequate quantities of nutritious, life-sustaining food. As a result, communities will no longer be dependent on foreign or government aid, and consequently will be able to achieve both food sovereignty and food security. Therefore, the development and implementation of sustainable agricultural practices is essential to the establishment of food security worldwide.

There are many ways in which sustainable agriculture can cultivate food security internationally. I believe that the development of sustainable agriculture programs in at-risk and aid-dependent countries is a key component of the solution to the world hunger epidemic. Such programs would educate communities about the importance of crop rotation and variety, how to maximize the efficient use of available land, and the importance of respectful treatment of the environment, the land, and all living things. Furthermore, the sustainable agriculture programs would be highly involved in the development and distribution of adaptive crops (that are resistant to harsh climactic conditions), and ensure the ethical treatment of those involved in the food systems and those who rely on them. The implementation of such programs would promote food sovereignty and food security, strengthen communities, and ensure the security and sustainability of food supply chains.

The Youth Agricultural Summit is an ideal opportunity for young agricultural innovators, advocates, and enthusiasts to share their unique perspectives on the issue of world hunger, and work together to create sustainable solutions. Through attending Youth-Ag, I will be able to collaborate with youth from different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, and will gain a more holistic view of the problem of global food insecurity. When I think about the amazing potential that Youth-Ag has to have a significant impact on global food security, I’m reminded of one of my favorite quotes by Margaret Mead. She said “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has”. In my mind, there is no doubt that the Youth-Ag delegates will create positive change in the global food system. I am incredibly passionate about working with the international community towards ending world hunger, and would be honored to represent my community at the Youth-Ag 2013 Summit. Thank you so much for your consideration.